The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gonna have to move my tank this weekend, i plan on picking up enough buckets/tubs to put most of my water, corals, rock, and fish in,while i have the tank empty, i want to re do my sand bed, thats easy enough, but my question is, once i get to the new place, i wanna set my tank up, and take my sump apart. would my tank be ok after a move for a day or two, after putting everything back in with a new sand bed, not having the skimmer? i could hang it, but im not sure. it would be much easier to not run it while i pull the baffles out and re glue them. i made some mistakes at the beginning of the hobby that id like to fix now that i can. so would that work? move the tank, throw everything back in, and let it run for a day or two with no skimmer while im waiting for silicone to dry? then set everything back up, fill the sump, and restart it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would buy a tub of some sort to run as a sump while you worked on the other one. It will be imporatant to have filtration and a skimmer when you change your sand bed. It will help your tank clear quicker. If possible I would recommend running a filter sock on your overflow into your sump to help catch some floating sand.

When I first built my tank and before I put my sump in I used a tub from Kmart. It is risky but worked out fine for me.

You are doing that at the correct time when you move.

Don't forget to use as much of the same water as possible when you move.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You might try some place like Tractor supply for a small horse trough or more sturdy large bucket to run as a temp sump. Will be unsightly and in the way I am sure in the new place but in the end you will be gad you gave them one for the move.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yeah if you can hang the skimmer at least do that if not setting up a temporary sump.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys and gals, guess i know, ill do one or the other, figure something out, wish me luck! and kiss the black sand good bye, im going white.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VWD said:
Good luck, I think as long as You have a good amount of rock and good water movement You will be ok, the rock will be able to handel the load, Just keep it wet and make the move as fast as You can.
the move should go very smooth, ive done it tons of times with fresh tanks. (i know salt is different) but im quick at loading and its a short drive, only about 7 miles, the worst part will be stacking the rock back up and placing the corals again.

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Hi Andy, May I ask why you want to redo your sandbed? I have moved my tank 3 times in 2 years and have always left the sandbed in tact and everything went fine my only fatality was a fire goby that jumped when I wasnt looking. I have always been told if the bed is in good condition leave it alone. Just my .02 cents. I also put all my rock inone bucket with circulation and heat and fish and corals in another and they have stayed that way for up to 2 days while I got everything set back up. I have an extra heater and couple powerheads if you need to use them also when you get the buckets. Joe

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
reefjunkie30241 said:
Hi Andy, May I ask why you want to redo your sandbed? I have moved my tank 3 times in 2 years and have always left the sandbed in tact and everything went fine my only fatality was a fire goby that jumped when I wasnt looking. I have always been told if the bed is in good condition leave it alone. Just my .02 cents. I also put all my rock inone bucket with circulation and heat and fish and corals in another and they have stayed that way for up to 2 days while I got everything set back up. I have an extra heater and couple powerheads if you need to use them also when you get the buckets. Joe
well the main thing i wanna redo on the sand is the color, im a weirdo and have tahitian moon sand, and when i started i tried the whole "layer of CC under, sand ontop" i was dumb then, didnt realize i would have CC on top in about 5 minutes, so it doesnt look as good, and i wanna try white sand, and really get it clean, so i figured while i was moving it would be as good of time as any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts