The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my wife and I bought our first three corals pictured below. They are in a 29g tank with a Banggai cardinalfish (that was bought the same day) and two clownfish that we've had for a while.

No sump, no skimmer, no GFO, Orbit IC LED lights (currently on daylight for eight hours at 30% power and actinic for 6), temp 78.5, specific gravity 1.024, pH 8, dKH 9, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5, calcium 420, no magnesium test.

I have fed all three Brightwell Aquatics Zooplankton one time.

The green star polyp(?) seems to enjoy its spot about 10 inches below the surface; opens during the day, closes at night, and looks healthy (I think).

We are not sure if the zoanthid is happy because only seven of its ~30 polyps have ever been open. Those seven did all seem to eat when we fed it and they close at night and open in the morning, but we're not sure why all the other polyps are still closed. It's always the same seven that are open. It is about the same distance below the surface as the green star but on the opposite side of the tank.

The brain coral is on the sandbed but hasn't seemed to do anything. It didn't appear to eat when we fed it and we haven't seen any tentacles at night.

How do we know if they like their spot or should be moved? Should I start turning the light brighter during the day? Why are only a few of the zoanthid polyps open?

Thanks for the help!
Cody

Attachments

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
the GSP and brain look good. some of my brains when i first got them didn't show feeding tentacles for a loooong time, but gradually you'll see more. i've never had luck with zoas in my tanks for whatever reason, i probably shouldn't give you advice on them :lol:

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,380 Posts
Hey Cody! I'm with Chris, Brain and GSP's are looking good. And am also a walking disaster when it comes to keeping Zoas in our system as well, but looks like with them reaching high on their stalks they're looking for more light.....and I've been told a number of times they do love their light. All the best to you,
Hack

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Cody! I'm with Chris, Brain and GSP's are looking good. And am also a walking disaster when it comes to keeping Zoas in our system as well, but looks like with them reaching high on their stalks they're looking for more light.....and I've been told a number of times they do love their light. All the best to you,
Hack
For a second I thought I was the only one that couldn't keep zoas:dance:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts