The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 125 AGA that is not drilled and was wondering what the best way to setup a sump is? the tank has way to much crap suction cupped on the sites and hanging in and it just takes away from the appearance.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Drill it or you could do like that goofball havre does and flirt with danger with a siphon overflow. Best bet is to get it drilled and do it right.

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts
Yep.... Drilling it is how you do it.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
How to have sump with undrilled tank?

IMO and IME: It really isn't an option. Either drill it or none at all. Planning the setup is so crucial vs. just slapping it up. Because once it's full, It's a whole lot harder to implement without hours of tearing down and rework. However, in the end, it is worth it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently I should have been more in depth with my question..... it is already completely setup... if I knew then what i know now i would have purchased a RR setup... however I did not. if one were to set up an overflow on an already established tank how would one do it???? thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
eswebster said:
Apparently I should have been more in depth with my question..... it is already completely setup... if I knew then what i know now i would have purchased a RR setup... however I did not. if one were to set up an overflow on an already established tank how would one do it???? thanks guys![/quote

Hang an overflow box on the back and just make sure the pump is fast enough so air doesnt get in the siphon tube. I am sure that drilled tanks are safer in the long run, but they can go to hell too. I had a drilled tank with an overflow glued in that fell off and that overflowed!
Oh and one little hint.....beware of people who tell you there way is the only way....at least in this hobby.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mary thank you for your offer, i may take you up on it, however i have decided that for the time being my tank has recieved too much of my money and will not be doing any work on it right now, just thinking about the work i will be doing to it in the future. Harve i dont see siphon overflows as that much more of a risk as long as you can measure the depth of the tube you are using to siphon out of the tank and then mark the sump to not fill past that point, this way if the pump malfunctions the tank will drain to the point where it will break the siphon and only fill your sump to the tip top. the only problem with that is the evaporation thing....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know if it is tempered on all sides or not, its an older AGA 6' 125 with a white sticker on the bottom, Its heavy if that means anything, I am assuming that its tempered on the bottom i am just concerned that it is tempered on all sides and dont want to end up with a broken tank....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts