The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just aquired a very nice royal gramma, probably the best i have seen from someone. He is in my quarantine tank as of right know. I have tried feeding him marine flakes but he wont take them. he does however take frozen brine, i am trying to switch him to the flake because brine has no nutritional value. can someone please tell me how. I heard garlic will intice fish to eat, but what kind of garlic. can i use the juice of the garlic i have in my fridge or what? please help...

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Some people soak their fish food in garlic to help with immune systems. My Royal Gramma is just as picky as yours. Flake or pellet food is left untouched, frozen or live is devoured in no time. You're right about the brine shrimp having no nutritional value. Some other option are frozen Mysid shrimp, Blood Worms, or blender mush. For Blender mush head to the farmers market and hit the seafood area, for about $10 you can make several months worth of food. Its probably healthier for the fish as well. I just pick a little squid,couple shrimp, mussels, maybe Salmon/Tuna and toss it in the food processor. You can also add Cyclopeeze,garlic, and nori to the mixture. Once you've blended put it in some freezer bags and flatten it out. When its time just brake off a bit and thaw it in some ro/di.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
If he is new to the QT, it's prolly not unusual that he's picky about what he will eat. :) I would give it some time. Is he eating a lot of brine? Maybe he is just not hungry for anything else after eating the brine.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah he is eating the brine like there is no tomarow, but when i try to feed him flake he shows no interest. Can i try and use some garlic to entice him to eat, and how would i go about doing that. thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
grab him and stuff the food in his mouth... works with my lizard... just put the food in a small container of tank water and add garlic, let it soak for a few and pour in.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
is that the royal gramma from the young couple in dunwoody by any chance?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i did pick him up from the couple in dunwoody. Today he took some flakes..i guess he just needed time to settle in...

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
thats a sexy fish, i picked up the rest of their fish, that gramma is huge! good buy!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
id have to say mine is the best... because its mine! i think they all look the same, although, the one he got, is huge!!! of course i havent seen very many full grown ones, so it might just be average.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
you guys are nuts, my gramma can beat/love yours to death!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts