The Reef Tank banner

How to get rid of Shrooms???

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  OodleyBoodely 
#1 ·
I have them popping up all over my tank. Does anything eat the mushroom? Is there anything I can inject into them to kill it? Same thing with polyps, does anyone know of a way to wipe these things out? I remove them by chipping at the rock and they come back. Some times 3 or 4 in the same spot come back.

#3 ·
Well, first of all they will grow back if you don't remove the entire foot of the coral. Instead of tossing them there are probably a number of folks that would love some frags of those guys. to frag them all you need to do is cut the offending shrooms or polyps off the rock, pull them out of the tank, put them on a small piece of rock and wrap them securely with some bridal veil material. Put them back in the tank and it should fasten itself to the rock in a week or so.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that will eat them on a regular basis though.

#7 ·
Yea send some my way, I have 3 tanks None have coral :( and Im always looking for a Nice starter coral, and Cheap is the best kind, I will take some or whatever you ahve left if you chose to get rid of em. thanks LOL and yea Im a newbie to the board, How bold of me to ask this soon LOL:cool:

#9 ·
Toadfish-i have no idea how to respond to this.:D some people just have the golden touch with some things. for me i was an impressive aiptasia grower in my early years.:(

i would start fragging them. you can get store credit at most LFS's. you can use this for equipment and livestock. get some small rubble rock and put them on these and give them away. if done right these things are like a gold mine.

G~

#10 ·
If you truely want to remove the 'shroom from the rock, you might try kalk injections just like for aiptasia removal. Also, if you can, remove the rock and after cutting the polyp/shroom off, scrub well with an old toothbrush. If anything starts to grow back, hit it again with the toothbrush. Just toss the cuttings into a shallow dish of coarse sand or rubble on the bottom of your tank and use as trades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.