The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My tank is about 4 months running now, and for the past month I've been noticing brown algae (like diatoms) and little pieces of green algae in clumps on the sand.. There also algae growing on the tanks walls everyday. I have a 46 gallon tank with 60 pounds of live rock, and 60 pounds of sand with a Current USA marine orbit LED lighting. I don't have a refugium. I do 20% water change every Friday evening. I use Red Sea salt, with RODI system. I use a 2X hydor 565GPH, and a hydor 600GPH powerheads. One of the hydor 565GPH powerheads are pointing at the top of the water to created ripples for oxygen. I got 10 nassarius snails, 17 spiny astrea snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 snowflake clownfish, and 1 torch coral.

This algae only seems to appear when my lights are on.. If I turn them off then the algae doesn't grow.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: less than 5ppm
Phosphates: Look to be around 0ppm

Please help.. I have tried everything:cry:

Callum

Attachments

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Your experienceing what we call the uglies. Just about all new tanks first several months are comprised of different algae and bacterial blooms. All caused by excess nutrients from setting up a new tank. You can help by regulary blowing off the rocks using a turkey baster or powerhead, siphoning the sandbed to prevent organic wastes (food, fish poop, ect) from laying around rotting and controlling your feeding habits.

Do you have a link for your led's?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Current USA marine orbit LED lighting Depending on the length isn't more than 36W so it shouldn't be that. It's probably just the uglies.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Phane is right through the first 6-7 months you go through the uglies which you will get a lot of nuisance stuff.

I would start by switching the 100% intensity down to maybe 75% and see if the sand bed stays a little better color. Continue with maintenance it is very important when in the uglies to control the algae outbreaks. Meaning remove all that the eye can see.

How many hours do the lights stay on for?

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
clean ur send bed every time you change water(which should be weekly) algae wont show up from week to week

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My blue lights are on from 8:00am - 6:00pm, white lights from 8:15am - 6:15pm. Sunrise/sunset is 15 mins. Moonlight is on for 4 hours.

I put my blue light intensity to 70, and my whites to 75 and it looks like theres a lot more brown and green algae on the sand bed now..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phane is right through the first 6-7 months you go through the uglies which you will get a lot of nuisance stuff.

I would start by switching the 100% intensity down to maybe 75% and see if the sand bed stays a little better color. Continue with maintenance it is very important when in the uglies to control the algae outbreaks. Meaning remove all that the eye can see.

How many hours do the lights stay on for?

My blue lights are on from 8:00am - 6:00pm, white lights from 8:15am - 6:15pm. Sunrise/sunset is 15 mins. Moonlight is on for 4 hours.

I put my blue light intensity to 70, and my whites to 75 and it looks like theres a lot more brown and green algae on the sand bed now..

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I would bring em down to blues 60 and whites 40-50, blues 8am to 6pm and whites 9am to 5pm. If your corals start getting too brown raise the blues and whites up 10%.

It takes time to lower nutrients, its not fast in any means. Do you have a tds meter? Have you checked your ro/di water to make sure its 0tds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would bring em down to blues 60 and whites 40-50, blues 8am to 6pm and whites 9am to 5pm. If your corals start getting too brown raise the blues and whites up 10%.

It takes time to lower nutrients, its not fast in any means. Do you have a tds meter? Have you checked your ro/di water to make sure its 0tds?
Thank you so much. Hopefully this light schedule will lower this gross algae.. I have TDS meter that tell me the input and output TDS. It says the output is 0ppm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts