The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 3 overflows with 2 one inch u tubes in each one. I have a Durso Standpipe in each overflow. I am sucking too much air. My tank always looks cloudy because of the little air bubbles comeing out of my sump. Any ideas on how to stop this.
I have 1 inch vinyl tubing coming out of each one. one of them ends above the water in the sump and two of them end below the water in the sump.

I have two new overflows coming that should be able to keep up with the pumps. I just dont want to have any more air bubbles in the tank.

Thank you for all your help.
Blue Man

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is really basic. I have 2 different sumps. One is a LS and LR with calerpa (sp) the overflow runs in to a hole in th side that flows in to the tank. I have a hole at the bottom where the pump sucks the water out and up to the tank.

The other tank has my protein skimmer in it and heater. The return pump is sumped and it pumps back up to the tank. We figure I am moving about 1400 to 1600 GPH.

Chris

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
do you know which sump the bubbles are coming from? is it the skimmer? if you turn off the skimmer do the bubbles go away/decrease. i agree with lady00 that it is more important to keep the bubbles from getting to the pump than to stop bubbles from the overflows. can you post a pic of the plumbing setup?

G~

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok .... How do I stop them from gettin to my pump.

NO it is not from my skimmer. I hooked that up yesterday. This was going on before.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Bluemandj,

I had the same problem with my overflow. I found out that the overflow will suck air if my flow rate on the return pump was too low.

Have you tried increasing the flow of your return?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was sucking the sumps dry. That is why I have 3 overflows with 2 one inch U tubes in each.

·
Registered
585 Posts
One thing to check...how far does the water drop from the overflow to the sump? Sometimes if the drain from the overflow to the sump is more than say 8 inches, you might want to put a pipe (flex pvc works great on this) from the bottom of the over flow closer to the sump. Mine was doing that also, so I added a 9 inch flex pvc to be the drain closer to the sump. Less splash in the sump, less bubbles...then I added about 4 pieces about soft ball size of LR to take care of the other little bubbles. Result...no more air bubbles in the tank

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you ahve a pic?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my drop is 4.5 feet. So I would use streight PVC pipe that distance with a elbow in to the tank??

·
Registered
585 Posts
THAT"s why you have bubbles...to far a drop. IMO

Either or on the PVC. I've found the flex is more flexable to work with..no need for elbow's one straight line with a curve here and there...Doing this will also reduce the noise of overflow to the sump.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
BLUEMANDJ said:
I was sucking the sumps dry. That is why I have 3 overflows with 2 one inch U tubes in each.
what size pump do you have! it could also be that velocity of the water in the sump is to fast, not allowing the bubbles any chance to escape.

G~

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 oceanrunner OR6500. At 4.5 foot of head it is pushing about 800 gph.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my tank is not a pre drilled tank. I have over the back overflow boxes. Top of the tank to the bottom of the sump.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
sorry, i caught what an ocean runner is.;)

1600 gph is a lot for a sump. what size sump is it. i could not find the flow at 4-5 feet though to get an accurate flow rate. i really think the bubbles are not having a chance to escape. i obviously would try all of the suggestions given first before what i suggest next.

what size pump is on your skimmer/ do you have a skimmer? i did not see it on your list. i would think putting that haus of a pump to use on a CLS instead of a return would be a better choice and get a smaller pump that is rated about the same as the skimmer for your return. IMO

G~

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my skimmer in sumped in to my firsts tank. not sure what the flow rate is. It is the recomended from the mfg.
Actually I am moving just under 2000 gph. through my sumps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts