The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to frag a huge mushroom leather. I have a 75 gallon and this leather takes up about 1/4 of my entire tank. When the polyps are extended and it is fully open, it is about 15 inches across. I have an anemone that found a great spot in the rocks and now it cant get enough light because of this gigantic mushroom. Should I just cut and paste to rock (super glue) or cut and try to rubber band it to rocks? Not really sure how to tackle this one.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can just cut pieces off with a sharp scalpel, razor blade, even scissors. Super glue will not work with leathers...the best approach is toss the cut pieces loose into a container so they can heal for a few days. Then use rubber bands, netting, fish line, etc. to hold them on small rocks so they can attach. Different folks have better luck with one technique vs. another...it requires a little experimentation to figure out what works best for you.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I dont know if you have seen the boxes made for hermit crabs that have the holes in the lid, but thats your best bet to throw the pieces in with some rubble rock. They will attach to the rock within a week and you will have tons of mushrooms. OR get some veil material from wal-mart/where ever you go and put it over a specimen container with the same method. Works wonders and the veil material is super cheap and im sure you have small bowl or something you can rubberband the veil over, so thats probably the cheapest/most effective way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts