The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations on how to clean the outside chambers of the sump? I have an Aqueon ProFlex sump, with a live rock/ algae refugium in the middle. My issue is that I have some sand sediment on both the intake chamber and the final chamber (with skimmer and return pump). I have tried to suck it out with the old water change siphon, but it isn't very successful. Does anyone have advice on how to get this surface dusting of sand sediment out?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Take the plastic part off the siphon and just use the hose. Suck on the end to create the siphon. You prob gonna have to get almost a mouth full before it will siphon. It doesnt have as much height as the tank so it takes alittle more to get it going. Some buy a small shop vac but only for the tank nothing else

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Take the plastic part off the siphon and just use the hose. Suck on the end to create the siphon. You prob gonna have to get almost a mouth full before it will siphon. It doesnt have as much height as the tank so it takes alittle more to get it going. Some buy a small shop vac but only for the tank nothing else
:agree:

The diameter in your siphon chamber is too big. I had the same problem and got a mini siphon for my sump and it sucks that stuff up no problem where my bigger one would hardly lift it.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
i use an old diatom filter. it allows me an endless siphon and i can vacuum all day long. i dont use the diatom stuff, though, and sometimes not even the bag inside the filter. i just put the outlet through a filter sock.

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Also, you do not need to suck on the hose :barf:

You can just lower it into the water from one end to the next filling the tube up with water making sure the air is out of it, plug the end sticking out of the water with your finger after you submerge and fill with water, bring it over the side into the bucket, and release your finger at a lower part than the end that is submerged is. After the siphon is started go to work :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I use a shop vac a couple times a year to clean mine out real good. For minor spot cleaning I use a MJ1200 powerhead with a short 1"-2" piece of tubing on the suction and a long tube to a bucket on the discharge nipple. It plugs up easily with big stuff but silt and sand go right through it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a shop vac a couple times a year to clean mine out real good. For minor spot cleaning I use a MJ1200 powerhead with a short 1"-2" piece of tubing on the suction and a long tube to a bucket on the discharge nipple. It plugs up easily with big stuff but silt and sand go right through it.

+1

This is exactly what I do and it seems to work really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts