The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desperately need to clean my little sea clone skimmer... I am trying to figure out a new skimmer to get but in the meantime I have got to clean this thing. I have been told I need to soak it in bleach, then rinse it out until I dont smell bleach anymore, but the thought of using bleach scares the hell outta me. I do not want to kill off everything in my tank.

Can you describe the correct process and let me know how I can tell when the skimmer is safe to use again? Should I soak it then wash it out and then run it for a couple days in a bucket or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,042 Posts
just use distilled vinegar, i fill a 5 gallon bucket with rodi water and dump in a half gallon of vinegar and let run for a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Bleach is perfectly safe when used properly. Many people use it to clean their filter socks in the washing machine.

The important thing is to either neutralize the chlorine before use or allow the bleached items to air dry. Chlorine will dissipate into the air.

This is all pointless however to the discussion at hand, vinegar and water is the best way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,652 Posts
I use straight distilled white vinegar, when you dilute it you change the pH and its effectiveness. Its like $1.48 a gallon at WaMart and lasts a long time if kept undiluted, use it straight, pour it back in the bottle through a paper towel, paint strainer or old pair of panty hose to strain the big stuff out and re use it over and over.
Bleach is not as effective for calcium build ups but is a good disinfectant. Where people make their mistakes is using too much though. Think about it, fresh bleach is 50,000 parts per million strength, a little goes a long way and more is not better. A few spoons full in a gallon of water is a very effective oxidizer. If you use it in moderation air drying is not necessary and you get the same results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch guys- I am much more comfortable using vinegar. I have been told by many people to use bleach- even the LFS, but I never have done it because I am careful about what I put into my tank. I love it too much... So... Vinegar it is. Thank you very much for your advice everyone
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top