The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
I need some ideas on how to catch a pesky damsel in a tank that has millions of hiding places. I have tried feeding and scooping but the little guy always gets away. what can I do to remove it?
here's how i got mine, right when the lights come on he came out kinda dazed so i got him. But another way i do is put the net in front of where he ususally comes out, then basically scare him in from behind with a piece of pvc. I was surprised but it worked.

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
a number of options. A trap is a good idea, but will require a lot of patience (the fish will likely not go in it within the first few minutes). Some folks do a quick drain/fill, where you literally drain the entire tank, get the fish, and then fill it back up. Corals will be fine for the 10-15 minutes as long as they don't dry out (so have the lights off as much as possible and kill any fans as well). a small line/hook can work as well, but snip the barb off. finally, pulling out the rock works as well.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as of right now pulling out the rock is not an option. I finally have a set up that I like and putting it all back with the corals is not fun. I have done it before. I think I will have to try a trap and then go from there. Im trying to catch a damsel that I should never have put in my tank. I guess he just looked cute at the fish store and for some reason I brought him home. Now a month later I hate that thing and want it gone.

· Nemo
202 Posts
as of right now pulling out the rock is not an option. I finally have a set up that I like and putting it all back with the corals is not fun. I have done it before. I think I will have to try a trap and then go from there. Im trying to catch a damsel that I should never have put in my tank. I guess he just looked cute at the fish store and for some reason I brought him home. Now a month later I hate that thing and want it gone.
That seems to be an opinion shared by most with Damsels. That's why I put Green Chromis in the tank I just setup to get it going. I did Damsels before and they are just more pain than pleasure.

· Quo vadis, Domini.
564 Posts
Do you know anyone with a lionfish you could borrow?
I'm not being facetious. Lions are a lot easier to catch than damsels (but be aware that they're poisonous).

· Quo vadis, Domini.
564 Posts
I dont care if its dead or alive. But I do have some other small fish that it might bother so the lion idea might not be the best. Although it would be a fun to watch.
I withdraw my lionfish suggestion. :lol:

You don't necessarily need to get a soda bottle. Any jar with an appropriately sized funnel would do. You might have to leave it in the tank for a while until the fish get used to its presence (think of a minnow trap made for freshwater).

In order to keep from having to empty the contents every day (of hermits, snails, less timid fish, etc.) I'd put the trap without the funnel in there until everyone's comfortable with feeding inside it. When you're sure the damsel has no fear of entering the jar/bottle , put the funnel in place.

· I <3 Fishies
1,305 Posts
iI removed my 4 damels by removing all lr...barely had any in my 55g maybe 10-12lbs and stacked rock and different locations and nabbed them 1 by 1! got $20.00 usd store credit for him and got a coral beauty and some hermits!(credit went towards the purchase)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.