The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No frags for you!
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to making a DIY Maxi-stream, and need to find the best way to bond the plastic shroud to the PVC test cap that holds everything to the maxijet body. I'm using parts from a "Turbo Twister" pool toy for a very professional look and also centers nicely too.

I've tried using regular PVC cement and also some plastic weld I got from the hobby store, neither of which bonds with any strength.

I've got some marine epoxy setting up now that is really my last hope of stuff I have on hand. Can anyone suggest something to bond them securely?

Here's pic of what I need to bond. The purple housing is some sort of plastic, and the white part is a PVC test cap I bought from Menards (though I don't think it is actually made of PVC but made to FIT PVC temproarily):


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Good ol' Gel super glue. Super glue dissolves and bonds almost any plastics together, just don't go overboard on it or it can melt too much of soft plastics like the test cap away.
 

·
No frags for you!
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it bond with good strength though?
 

·
No frags for you!
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David Grigor said:
So how much do you have to spend on the pool toy to get the shroud ?
They are $9.99 but Target had them on sale for $7.99 when I picked them up last week. It was actually the first time I'd seen them anywhere yet this summer. I thought Swimways stopped making them, but looks like they are still available yet.

Sea Monkey said:
I'm curious how you implemented the stopper . It might spray water out the sides because the prop isn't really enclosed by anything but that's not entirely bad, wider dispersal : ) neet idea.

healthy amount of super glue and accelerator will keep it in place especially if you ruff the surfaces up just a bit.
I haven't gotten that yet, but just from playing I think I'll glue a small piece of acrylic to the end of the shroud as a stop. The original guy did it with a SSteel rod, but in testing that was such a small surface area that it may wear the blade eventually after enough use. More surface area should spread out the force and be better on the blade I'd think.

As far as water pattern, it's really nice. It mainly comes out the end much as any other DIY Maxi-stream I'd guess. Only thing is it's a pre-fab cage to put it into. I have it in a MJ1200 and it *REALLY* moves a lot of water IMO. For testing I was just holding the cage in place and worked OK - just need to glue to make testing easier and take it to the next level.


BTW, I did find some Weldon-16 that I had and glued some test chunks last night. It bonded very well and that's what I'll use. Should be rock solid.

I think I'll start a new thread for it after getting the first unit fully built. This did much better than my previous attempts b/c you can center it MUCH easier so you don't have a wobly prop. No reliance on drilling a perfectly centered hole since the cage is already built and perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,777 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top