The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Resizing
There is a lot of software for resizing images. I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photo Shop. These are a little overkill if your just using it to resizing pix. A fantastic software for resizing images is Irfanview. Irfanview is also great for just viewing images and best of all its free! You can adjust the color balance and other neat stuff with it too.

Resizing pictures with Irfanview is as easy, just open the picture with the software and click on image on the top menu, then click on resize/resample image, then either type in the size you want or click on a preset size. Just make sure that the preserve aspect ratio is clicked or your pic might look a little funny after. I found you have to remember to save the image after editing, unlike other software it will not remind you when you exit!

optimizing
Now that you resized you image you should optimize it! Why optimize? Jpeg and gif images are still quite large. Optimizing will make the image load quicker on the web, this is a must for our dial up user friends that want to see your pix. It also allows you more room where space is limited like the gallery here on TRT or when there are limitations like file attachment sizes in posts. When you optimize a jpeg or gif image it reduces the colors in the color pallet of the file witch in turn makes the file smaller. I optimize every image and graphic file I put on the web.

This image was 116kb after optimizing it was 19kb a savings of 96kb!

I use Ulead Smart Saver Pro, I think it is the best optimizing software you can buy. Nope its not free, I think it is well worth the money (at least for me). If you would like to try it they do have a free trial version.

There are other optimizing software's out there like, WebGraphics Optimizer.
I will do some research and try to find other optimizing software that is freeware or cheapware and test it out and post here.

If you have any questions or you need help please post in this thread or PM me, I would be glad to help.

·
Administrator
47,617 Posts
Hey Dave I will have to look into some of that stuff, I use CPIC which is OK but limits resize to their options. The optimizing sounds interesting, I will look into that.
BTW that bubble shot is absolutly gorgeous :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
thanks for the info gum I went ahead and dloaded the optimizer proggy since i see where one would definitly be handy.

I also gonna try postin a pic tryed so lets see what happened :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Thanks Dave I have discovered that moving fish are hard to catch clearly:D

·
Super Moderator
27,664 Posts
Beautiful pix! I use GraphicConverter to crop, adjust color, optimize, etc. Getting a good focus is inconsistant. Especially with pix other than my tank ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
:) Thanks for the irfanview link, Dave. Now I might actually be able to add photos to my posts!:beer:

·
Registered
405 Posts
irfanview - is there a way to optimize using this software? or do you have to download a seperate program?

When I say optimize I mean reducing the color pallet... Right now I'm using irfanview to re-size and reduce the file size, but when you do that the pic's get yucky looking.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I Need Help

O.K. I've just figured out how to add attachment photos to my posts. Yeah! I'm reducing the size of the pic in Photoshop. Why are my pics clear on my computer and fuzzy on the web site? Others post photos that are crystal clear.

Pam

·
Registered
316 Posts
rottielover said:
irfanview - is there a way to optimize using this software? or do you have to download a seperate program?

When I say optimize I mean reducing the color pallet... Right now I'm using irfanview to re-size and reduce the file size, but when you do that the pic's get yucky looking.
Optimizing by reducing the color palette means that you are saving photos as GIF files, which is highly inappropriate. Photos should be optimized and saved in JPEG (.jpg) format.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are using xp you can just download the image resizer powertoy from here
www(dot)microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

then you can just select a group of images, right click, and select resize images then choose the resolution you want. Works really well.

Cheers
Chris

1 - 20 of 33 Posts