The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I hear most of you guys say that you feed your fish every other day. If this is so, how much should I give them. I bought a 30 pack of frozen mysis shrimp cubes. I have been feeding them half a cube every day. I have an adult cleaner shrimp, 3 inch lawnmower blenny, 1 inch file fish, 3 inch tang, 2 inch royal gramma, and a 2 inch clownfish. Thanks. I would be soaking the food in garlic and maybe some vitamin/amino acid supplement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is a personal preference zone. You also need to consider what your corals are taking in too.

What size tank? Filter system? CUC? Availability of natural and live food production in tank.

I have a 90 gallon with about 10 fish, several corals and who knows what else. I sometimes feed twice a day within the five to six hours I'm awake at night a few times a week. Then I might not feed at all for a couple of days. When on vacation I don't feed at all for upto a week and a half.

You'll get to know your setup and base what you're able to do with it in time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
do you wash your frozen first? it helps. i feed 3 days on 1 day off. dried crude protein, sushi nori, phyto plank, and brine. and I change the order to mimick the wild. I know ther is know dried food in the wild, but it works for me

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Most of the fish we keep, outside of predatory fish, feed throughout the day in the wild. IMHO, they should be able to feed close to this in captivity. Like ddinox64 pointed out, they may be able to get a portion of their food from organisms growing in the tank. Like algae and pods. Due to the fact that the amount of food growing in a tank can vary greatly, the amount of food we need to add, will also vary greatly. I feed my tank every day. Sometimes three or four times a day.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i feed mine one frozen cube a day.. for awhile when I was battling ich with my blue tang i fed them 2x a day. i was told to feed them well to help build their immune system. seemed to work so i'm back down to 1 cube a day.. and i alternate between feeding brine shrimp and mysis. i have a copperband butterfly that prefers brine or otherwise i'd probably just do mysis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fish 3 yellow tailed blue damsels
2 Percula clowns
4 Domino Damsels
1 yellow sleeper goby
1 Keyhole angel
1 strawberry pseudochromis
1 very large Sohal Tang

Automatic feeder twice daily feedings of pellets and flake into surface floating feeder ring

and additional 3 out of 4 days average 2 cubes frozen (mysis,blood worms brine,etc..)

nori and caulerpa (from refugium) several times a week

never saw happier fatter fish, much better than when I only fed 2-3 times per week

but tank is 320 gallon, sump,refugium, I harvest and throw out lots of refugium algae, need to up H2O changes with increased feeding and use high efficiency skimmer

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts