The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wodering how often you clean out your skimmer and how often it should be cleaned?

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
About 2-3 times per week I empty the cup out and every six months or so I take the skimmer down and clean it throughly!:)

·
Super Moderator
27,670 Posts
you want the truth? ;)

About once a week I clean out the collection cup, and once a year for the whole skimmer. What a chore that is. I also clean out the intake about every three weeks, or as needed. That really get gummed up and doesn't draw.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i clean my collection cup once a week, and wipe down the top portion of the inside top tube, where it meets the collection cup. tends to get a little slimy there.

looks like i may need to shut it down and clean the pump though, doesnt seem to be pushing like it used to.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I clean the whole thing about once a week (collection cup and main body). I just wipe it down with some clean white paper towels and rinse with tap water. Only takes about half an hour, but it stinks a good bit! I've noticed that if I let it go longer between cleanings, it gets coated in so much gunk (technical term alert) that it quits making foam.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hmmm

Never

I've never cleaned it, I'v emptyed the overflow about once a month. Maybe I should toss it in the dishwasher with lots of soap and copper pots (KIDDING KIDDING)

Actually I think I should break it down. but goodness what a pain It take over an hour to wrestle it out of sump. in tiny cabinent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've been cleaning mine about once every two weeks.

Sometimes I wonder if it is pulling out enough gunk. I have cut back the feeding to once every three days. I feed approx. a tablespoon of the blender mush.

With a feeding schedule like that, would a good skimmer require cleaning once or twice weekly????

125g tank with 60g sump.

skimmer - ETSS-700 with MAK-4 pump (I think this pump might be the problem)

Anyhoo, I'm not quite sure how to guage my skimmers effectiveness.

Sean

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i found this info yesterday while looking around at skimmer designs. this might be helpful.

lots of great info here, if in fact it's all true. i assume it is, because they are not selling their own skimmers, they are resellers.

either way there is a ton of info here. i sure learned alot!!

http://www.superskimmer.com/Skimmer Sizing info.htm

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh, duh!! dont know what i was thinking..

for a business i usually expect something like aetech.com etc... since i saw superskimmer.com i figured it was a generic skimmer resale site :)

i had only read the skimemr info page, and hadnt browsed the site itself.

they do state at the bottom that the info listed is generic to all skimmers.

any experts here that can verify that info, and rules of thumb listed? like how much skimming for what application etc...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yup you are correct they do sell the etss skimmers.
I won a Urchin Pro from that page some time ago.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts