The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wrestling with the issue of having an oversized skimmer on my Nano. It's a Berlin HO, 25-250 w/ Mag 9.5 and Kent Venturi mod.

I would think it would run really wet, and pull out tons of crap, but the truth is I hardly get any wet skimmate... I wake up to a dry foam-filled cup. I pull the cup everyday and wash the slime out of the tube, and pull the main tube from the skimmer to clean about once a week. Skimmer has been running just under a month, used to run on a 75g with success for several years.

Question is... should I be more patient w/ my collection cup? Does the "slime" on the inside actually aid the process of the foam climbing into the chamber?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
It may be actually too much skimmer for the tank, though it would surprise me. I've seen some people have really large skimmers on small tanks and get poor results, usually because there wasnt enough junk to pull out of the water. Not sure how to test that except to turn the skimmer off for a couple days and then turn it back on. If it works well right when turned back on (say for a day or more), and then goes back to barely skimming, then that may be your case.

Otherwise, you may just need to maintain the skimmer. It's possible that it's not pulling in as much air/water as in the past due to some sort of clog or other issue.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Cup as needed 4 days or so, skimming wet. inlet, impeller & air hose monthly, collection tube only remove what rinses off. Full tear down ever 6 months, looks new.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I clean the cup every day or two...otherwise I leave the body of the skimmer alone for 6 months or so. IME skimmers do better if you don't clean the body too often.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did a reall sweet mod on the Berlin... had an old Seaclone laying around (I know, I know lol), and noticed that the collection cup was half the size and had a smaller tube. Out of curiousity I checked to see if it would fit on the Berlin.

After an old-school coke bottle mod (for testing purposes) I was able to get a nice watertight seal on the collection cup, and still can remove it easily. It reduces the tube-size to the collection cup by about half.

Now I can hardly keep up lol. It's full of rich foam and dark dark liquid after the 2nd day. Evidently, there was alot of gunk to pull, just too big of a pathway to push it through. It wasn't making it to the collection cup.

Rather than cutting up the old cup, I modded a smaller one to fit. It works great.

I'm gonna stick with cleaning the cup evry day, but wont do the scrubbing I used to. I'll also allow more gunk to build in the body and start cleaning it once a month.

Thanks for all the input guys. Btw its a really easy mod and would work on a variety of skimmers/cups. If your in the position where you may have too much size on your collection cup, and have a smaller one laying around, I'd be happy to provide the mod. All I used was a Powerade bottle, a rubber band, and a Seaclone cup to mod my Berlin. Nice and watertight, quiet, efficient, and surprisingly nice-looking for such a mod lol.

:nuts:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts