The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times did you sketch out your dream idea for a tank, sump, fuge, etc. before actually building it? I already know the answers to this question will be varied, with most stating, "millions of times." I get that most of us, myself included, are visual in nature, and prefer a graphic illustration for their creativity.

This is where I'm going with this: Throughout the addition of new tanks, new ideas on placement and purposes, and construction, I have sketched, doodled, and even etched my ideas, often ending with tossing it, then wishing I could retrieve it later, or having these drawings laying all over the house. I wish there was an "affordable" computer application that would allow me to accomplish the same things without the long learning curve - an app for a tablet, or a computer program. Has anyone found such (other than architect CAD programs that cost hundreds and require a degree to use, that is)? What methods have you used to conceptualize your build ideas?

· Registered
2,544 Posts
uncountable times :)

on the back of junk mail, notepads at home, random pieces of paper, my notebook at work has many pages with canopy, overflows, sumps, aquascape sketches etc... in it :)

have you tried sketchup? it's free.
it's pretty good for what it is, but i went back to the pencil and paper, as it's soo much faster for me, and i don't really need something of presentable quality :)

J.

· Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
Being that I'm an engineer and enjoy designing things in 3D, I draw up pretty much everything that I'm going to build that way I can learn in 3D what not to do and get exact measurements to make things go together right... I prefer SolidWorks, but that's just because I have access to it through work, I haven't played around with sketchup (why learn a new program when I have a better one available) but I've seen where a lot of people use it and produce pretty good looking drawings out of it. That is, assuming you are talking about some sort of mechanical drawing... if you are talking about sketching up your aquascape to figure out how you want your rocks to look or something then you need to go talk to some artsy person because that's not my world... but as far as anything mechanical / architectural/ building / stands / space claim arrangements etc. then I draw it all up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.