The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm not a novice. Had aquaria as far back as the 1960's and successfully kept a marine aquaria in the 1980's.

I've been out of the hobby until last year. I did a very successful planted tank and now I'm planning a 10 gal reef with two perculae and an anenome.

One thing that I'm confused about. Why does everyone spend so much time and money trying to purify their water? (I know I did that back in the 80's)

I set my 10 gal up about six weeks ago with the live rock and it is doing great. I do 25% water changes per week and have had no NH4 spike or any kind of bad blooms.

I put in the percula last week and have already done one water change. They are doing great as well.

Question. How much water do you change in your tanks per week? Isn't it way better to get rid of the bad water and replace it with fresh new stuff rather than trying to biofilter it back to life?

I admit that I don't know exactly what I doing but changing your tank water seems to be a basic fact of life for good quality water.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
I do 20% a weekYou want to use good water(RO/DI) to start with to end up good water quailty for your tank.10 gallons is way to small for Anenomes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a 46 gallon and i change about 10 gallons once a week. Also you might have trouble keeping an anemone in a 10..i commented in your other post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there fellow aquarium lovers..

I have a 29, 90, and a 220. I do 10% water changes once every 3 weeks or so and I have pristine water, most of the time I have My water checked I dont have anything wrong to even warrent a change. Really there is no set change schedule, I have been doing this for many years and I strongly believe that if its not broken dont fix it. To many people these days are so worried about water changes when in actuality if you have the bio good in your tank then alot of water changes arent needed. My 90 gal has been set up for about 7 years and I have gone as long as 2 months without needing a water change and its a full reef with all kinds of corals (hard and soft) and fish. It all depends on you and what you can do. Every tank is differ and the way you care for it is the same way.

Most people say you can't have certain fish in certain tanks and for the most part that is true if they are coral eaters, but I have lions and groupers in one of My reefs with fish small enough to be a good dinner, but I got them when they were small so they dont seem to bother the fish that would normaly be dinner. In My oppinion it all depends on your tank as they all seem to have their own personal do's and dont's. Some get lucky and can have what others cant.

Hope My info helps.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I don't have a skimmer in my 10 gl so I change about 1.5 gls per week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Currently I do approximately 30% every two weeks with good quality salt and ro.

My nitrates never get above 1 but I definitely notice the corals looking less content if I go over two weeks between water changes, even when monitoring and supplementing Mg/Ca/KH as required. I guess there are other trace elements that I don't supplement for which get depleted.

Finding the holy grail of a regular regime which works is the tricky bit. My maintenance regime has changed many times to reflect changes in nutrient import/export rates as livestock and equipment has been changed or added.
I firmly believe stability is the key, a dynamic approach of allowing your livestock to tell you when a water change is required seems most effective, IMO they are a much better indicator than any test kit or fixed regime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
30% in my oppinion is way to much. the more water you take out the greater chance of taking out to much bio your tank works so hard to produce, everything that makes your tank more of a natural enviornment for your fish, coral etc. 10% is the standard for a reason. I in no way am an expert but the many and many of years of salt water tank raising and maintaining kinda give Me the knowledge of it. And trust Me, I have done My fair share of killin stuff off to gain this exp. Hope it helps ya out a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I strongly think that if you cut down to 10% every 2 weeks you will notce a huge change in tank stability and water quality and less depending on chemical help. As long as you stick to it and feeding no more then 3 times a week tops, and using a good quality frozen reef food. I use Prime Reef and feed My lions some ghost shrimp a few times a week. I Think you will be rather happy with the results if ya try it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats awesome!

Hey there fellow aquarium lovers..

I have a 29, 90, and a 220. I do 10% water changes once every 3 weeks or so and I have pristine water, most of the time I have My water checked I dont have anything wrong to even warrent a change. Really there is no set change schedule, I have been doing this for many years and I strongly believe that if its not broken dont fix it. To many people these days are so worried about water changes when in actuality if you have the bio good in your tank then alot of water changes arent needed. My 90 gal has been set up for about 7 years and I have gone as long as 2 months without needing a water change and its a full reef with all kinds of corals (hard and soft) and fish. It all depends on you and what you can do. Every tank is differ and the way you care for it is the same way.

Most people say you can't have certain fish in certain tanks and for the most part that is true if they are coral eaters, but I have lions and groupers in one of My reefs with fish small enough to be a good dinner, but I got them when they were small so they dont seem to bother the fish that would normaly be dinner. In My oppinion it all depends on your tank as they all seem to have their own personal do's and dont's. Some get lucky and can have what others cant.

Hope My info helps.
Thats awesome!
I have a 90 Gallon Reef Tank with a sump that contains only a skimmer which my local store (Big Als) has set me up with April 2013.
I'd love to see/here more about your 90 Gallon and know what equipment you are using? Any chance you can post pics and info for me please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Smaller water changes closer together will keep the tank more stable than larger water changes over a longer period. When keeping a reef tank the most important thing for corals to thrive is stable conditions. On a larger system it is relatively easy to keep this, but on a nano system like your's it's more difficult. 25% on a 10 gallon is more than you need to do, but as long as you make sure the water you're adding has the same parameters as the water in your tank you shouldn't have any problems.

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
I have a 29g and I change about 1 to 3 gallons a day... Its setup with an automatic refill so it doesn't matter exactly how much I take out, it puts the same amount back in... I do what it takes to get the surface skimmed and thats it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 29g and I change about 1 to 3 gallons a day... Its setup with an automatic refill so it doesn't matter exactly how much I take out, it puts the same amount back in... I do what it takes to get the surface skimmed and thats it.

Why change it every day? You taking all the beneficial bacteria that fish and corals need. You are doing to many water changes. I know your tank looks nice because it always has new water but just think when you have to leave for a week or two. What are you fish going to eat then? Please don't say auto feeder because they are tank crashers. I could leave my tank for two weeks and my fish are fine due to the bacteria and beneficial that is has in the tank.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
Why change it every day? You taking all the beneficial bacteria that fish and corals need. You are doing to many water changes. I know your tank looks nice because it always has new water but just think when you have to leave for a week or two. What are you fish going to eat then? Please don't say auto feeder because they are tank crashers. I could leave my tank for two weeks and my fish are fine due to the bacteria and beneficial that is has in the tank.
very little of the beneficial bacteria lives in the water column. you can do a 100% water change and not effect your bacteria population because the majority of the bacteria live in the sand or in the rock (assuming you have sand and porous rock in your tank). Maybe if you were running a bare bottom tank you might have an issue with loss of bacteria just because there isn't as much surface area on the glass as in sand/rock.

I wouldn't recommend a 100% water change because of the pH/alk/etc. that would have a big impact on your fish/corals, but the point is the bacteria really don't care... i.e. it won't cause your tank to re-cycle which means you haven't hurt your bacteria population.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts