The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you think you spend to keep your tank(s) up and running once it's established?

Please post your total weekly, monthly or annual spending habits on things like salt, replacement bulbs, water conditioners, fish food, replacement parts, test kits, etc etc.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
$50 to 100 a week easy. More when its time to restock chemicals, test, and such. Seems to fall around the same time for that stuff.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jenajet said:
$50 to 100 a week easy. More when its time to restock chemicals, test, and such. Seems to fall around the same time for that stuff.
$100 a week times 52 weeks = $5,200 a year
:bigeek:

I can't believe you have time to post in between tank maintenance and your 3 jobs to pay for it all.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
My main expense is salt. I take a Petsmart.com printout showing $31.99 for an IO bucket to the local Petsmart. Currently, IO has a $5 rebate sticker on their buckets. $27 for a bucket of salt eases the pain a little bit...

·
Registered
51 Posts
for me it was all initial investment. 200 for a skimmer 200 for a filter 400 for a light 300 for LR 100 for LS 250 for a tank 400 for livestock 200 for a RO unit 350 for a cooler need i go on? but atfer the agonizing first few months, unless you have new fish fever, the price drops to a resonable amout. while you are at work, just think that about two days of your hard work a month will go to your aquarium!:nuts:

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Single 200 gallon setup runs about $80 a month including lights, food, electricity, test kits, filters for ro, and suppliments.

This breaks down though if you remove the yearly light changes to about $58 a month, but I tend to overstock most my stuff so you don't really feel a hit.

Keep in mind this is t-5 lighting
and low energy pumps (dart)

(Not including replacement failures.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Speaking of costs...... It would be cheaper for me to buy a new 60 gpd RO/DI unit then buy the replacement filters when they finally go.:eek:

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
man you guys in the states have it easy, I can't get a bucket of salt for under $70. I would say that monthly it would be way too much to post publicly:nuts:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
motorslave said:
You all must be getting power for free!

Robert
I actually have my wife in the basement constantly pedaling my electromagnetic bicycle to power my tank

:thumbup:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I got lucky with a hubby that finances this obsession. But I don't complain when he forks out a bundle on his toys either and his is alot more expensive. I quess I should have clarified I have 3 sw tanks, 2 fw, and a koi pond. This is expenses on everything but majority of the money goes into the sw tanks. Plus I have just gotten into the more expensive corals. The expense should drop now that I am out of room. Then again the hubby said yes to a 90 gallon setup we should be getting in the next couple of weeks. Uh oh time to start over. I will be going much slower on this setup tho. This will be a predator tank tho so lots of research is under way!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
With Electricity, probably around 500/month. Initial expenses were HUGE!

Total since I started on 12/28/05......$14,024 :doh:

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Um... high... very, very, very high... on the good cheap months i would say $200-300... the bad ones more like $500-600. when i get yet another tank, much more. I don't think the druggies pay as much to support their habit.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
for me My apt has all utilities paid for so i run my a/c 24 hrs a day set to 60 Degress to keep my both tanks cool. my only expence is salt water and RO water. I have a saltwater card for 15 dollars for a 60 Gallon card and RO water is 3 dollars for a 5 gallon. i go through about 25G of saltwater a months for water change and about 10-13 gallons for Evap so total a month is 7 dollars for saltwater and 39 dollars for RO as for food i stock up every 2 months goes about 20-25 dollars for frozen food.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts