The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading in the archives about back up power options and surge protectors and have a few basic questions.
:help:
People say get high joule surge protectors, but how high is enough? I saw a surge protector with 400 joule that was a good price for muliple outlets and of course I've seen them 1,300+ joules but for a lot more money. What is really the difference? Do I need to spend the extra or is it overkill? Thanks

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
The higher rating will stop a more powerful surge, like the difference in lightning striking a pole right outside your house VS. one 2 miles away.

I use the cheap ones, they will give me some protection. More is better here, but you have to weigh the cost of what you plugged in against the cost of the protection for it. Inductive devices (pumps etc) really aren't effected by surges much, it is the things like an controller, the multicontroler for Tunz pumps etc that will be damaged by a surge.

Not much help really,
Whiskey

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
alot of protectors will keep you safe from lightning striking the poles around your house. nothing will take a full on strike. so, spend you money how you want. if the lightning wants it, there isnt much you can do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts