The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i want to know just out of curiosity is how much money you have spent on your fish tank/s?

also how long you have had it/them running for?

and how many years you have been interested in aquariums?

so i have had a 56 gall tank up and running for 9 months and i have spent exactly $1700. and an extra 100 for my soon to be nano thats been running for about a month.

· Reef Nut
1,255 Posts
If thats all you spent so far you are doing pretty good. I remember a thread last year where the we were trying to predict the total 'cost per gallon' based on all the stuff needed. I thnk it got close to $50/gl once you added the corals and fish and went out about 1 year.

· Registered
546 Posts
This is the most depressing thread ever. I don't even want to think about it. However, there's no way I've spent $50 per gallon on my 90... $4500. I am under $2000 almost certainly. I do a lot of craigslist shopping as well.

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
My curent tank:

225 gallon tank-$100

Triple 250 watt metal halide complet set up ice-cap 660 complete set up with 6 bulbs-$50

135 pounds LR-Free

Watching my tank smash on the ground-priceless

Starphire veiwing panel-$240

Massive super-uber-ultra DIY skimmer-$100

Orca pump for skimmer-$260

55 gallon tank for sump-$30

300 gallon water storage tank-free

DIY stand-$20

Grand total so far-$800

I think that's it. Quite a big contrast from my last system investment of $14,000.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
All my tanks total, fresh and salt, over the last 30 years? Eeekkk. Mrs. Hop might find this:lol:

· Registered
469 Posts
we stopped keeping track...we started w/ a 55 moved to a 47 tall..and decided to go to a 125, when we stopped keeping track we where right around 3500--then we got interested in the business side of things and I am scared to look at my bank statements now!

· Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grand total so far-$800 thats pretty good!!
I think that's it. Quite a big contrast from my last system investment of $14,000. WOW:bigeek:
This is the most depressing thread ever. I don't even want to think about it. However, there's no way I've spent $50 per gallon on my 90... $4500. I am under $2000 almost certainly. I do a lot of craigslist shopping as well.
oh come on dont be to sad about it you love this hobby don't you? lol:D

· Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All my tanks total, fresh and salt, over the last 30 years? Eeekkk. Mrs. Hop might find this:lol:
i hop she doesnt :lol: , owe come on share a little.

we stopped keeping track...we started w/ a 55 moved to a 47 tall..and decided to go to a 125, when we stopped keeping track we where right around 3500--then we got interested in the business side of things and I am scared to look at my bank statements now!
hahaha well iv got a long way to go to ketch up to you guys. lol

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
i hop she doesnt :lol: , owe come on share a little.

hahaha well iv got a long way to go to ketch up to you guys. lol
:lol: I'll just say I could have had a corvette for the money I had in my 450. But the wifes medical bills apparently come between a man and his tank:D

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
:lol: I had 18K in the 450 before it saw water and rock, corals and fish;)

Understand a lot of that went into making sure my floor would hold it and house modifications;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.