The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a colony of Miami Hurricane today and I am considering fragging it and selling part of it to make my money back. I was wondering how much you folks would pay if it was offered to you. It is a beautiful colony with about 50 eyes on it. I paid $200.

If I cut the frags into 5 eyes each I was thinking $75 would be a fair price to ask.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has anyone bought Miami Hurricane Chalice lately that wants to chime in on how much they paid?
Keep in mind I am clear out in Northern VA so unless you live in Maryland or somewhere close giving me lowball answers really won't help you any. haha (I figured I would just get that out there b4 people like me responded with "FREE send it to me" etc.)
Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well I did some google work... and I see that the miami hurricane challice, 3-5 eyes is going for about $50/frag, but that plus $30 shipping, so that would be $80 if you only buy one... Of course if someone was buying bulk the shipping cost would get spread to make each coral a better price.

Probably depends some on your local market for it... For me personally, I don't have the $$ to spend that much on one coral, but thats just me... I mean you got it for $4/eye at 50 eyes and $200... If you think about maybe selling them at $10 per eye... for a 5 eye frag, you'd get $50, but if you make some larger or small frags, you could probably adjust your price accordingly... maybe a 7 eye frag charge $65, and for a 3 eye frag charge $35-$40... see how that would work?

Just a thought, but im so new I don't know pricing real well... That's just the business sense in me talking there... What do you think?

-Scott

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys I guess a member or two took offense to this post. I guess it seems like I am trying to sell a product only to people close to me. Just wanted to say that I am selling it but will be doing it on craigslist not on here.
I was just trying to get a basis for what to ask for that coral. Not sure why it seems bad, but my apologies all around.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has has input I would be more than willing to hear it but if you find my post offensive feel free not to comment.

Thanks in advance.

·
Sharksational
614 Posts
Ok, if you paid $200 for 50 heads, thats $4 a head. You selling 5 heads for $75 which is $15 a head. Does that sound fair to you? You are making almost 400% profit. If you sold all 50 you have @ $75 for 5 heads, you would make like $750 bucks. I think thats what people are mad about. Kinda angers me a little. I personally think $5-$6 a head would be fair and you can still make a good portion of your money back.

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
Yea that's a healthy price.. I can buy them locally for 8-10 an eye.. Now from a friend of mine that I buy from on a regular basis it's 3$ an eye.. If I paid 4$ an eye I'd sell it for no more than 8$ an eye but that's just me.. I don't believe it crazy mark up..

·
Registered
465 Posts
dont understand why anyone here got offended or angered by the post... Makes sense to ask before deciding on a price.... Sure his original price may have been a little high, but that's why the OP was asking im sure.

No need to put him on blast, just give an opinion of your ideas for pricing these things and he can then make an educated decision.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I say get as much as you can but going rate is about $35-40 for $ 3-5 eyes. Size matters too because some time you only get 1-2 3 eyes on a nickel size frag and sometime you get 10.

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I appreciate the input on what the going rate is. That is really all I was looking for.
I was just trying to get a decent base to know what I could charge for some of the eyes on this coral. Also to know what it is going for because my thoughts were way off base on the Miami Hurricane. I thought it was still going for prices about like the Tyree watermelon chalices and stuff like that (retail 100 for tiny tiny frags.)

I think I might do chunks the size of a small frag plug for about 50 then. I think that would sell pretty quickly.

Again thanks for the input and sorry for causing such a stir.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts