The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few sweet frags of pom pom xenia from autochek this past weekend but they don't seem to be happy. He had them on the sand in his tank under MH lights. I placed them in the sand as well under VHO (shallow tank) but they seem retracted. Everything else is opening up nicely. I tried putting it in high, medium, and low flow areas but nothing seems to work. The polyps are pulsing but they are retracted. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Same with my xenia..... I have even very reduced light right now to kill off some of my algae, with eexcessive water changes as well.

Mine are pulsing nicely, and are extended.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geez, what am I doing wrong? My tank is new but the water parameters are 0 for nitrates. I have no fish so I don't feed the tank, is it too clean for xenia?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
They are filter feeders so they could be hungry. Try adding a little phytoplankton for them.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
:wavey:
hng said:
Geez, what am I doing wrong? My tank is new but the water parameters are 0 for nitrates. I have no fish so I don't feed the tank, is it too clean for xenia?

You might have hit the nail on the head, i lost some when i added the second skimmer on my 75 gallon Geoff said he thought it could of been because my tank water was to clean, it very well could be the problem.
Brent. JMO

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
hng said:
Yup...feed the water column.......I have found if you water is very clean you will need to have them in a moderate to high flow area. If too high they will stay balled up.......if hungry they will start to shrivel and shrink!

I could never keep them in my tank as well. Everything elese would survive but xenia.....I know have a CLS w/ about 45x turnover and they are in a moderate flowarea and I dose micro vert once a week and they are doing phenominal now!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thats what it is Id imagine as well, being a newbie... I bought some green stuff thats not phytoplankton for my tank. It has Acein or something like that, spinach, and egg in it. My nitrate levels went up some, but so did the growth.

You wouldnt starve your children, so dont starve your corals =( lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Xenia love waterflow and light as much as Acropora but they don't need to be feed. They get enough nutrients they need from the light. I bought 2 stalks of xenia from LFS about 8 month ago. I glue it to the back glass of my tank toward the very top of the tank. Now they cover all 3 sides of my tank. I can't see anything behind my tank anymore. The power heads, wires and plumbing pipes are all cover with Xenia. It's really neat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You will need to have some kind of food source in there. Everything that you brought home from my tank is a filter feeder of some sort. If you have a cleanup crew in there you will need to feed them a little also. They have to have something to eat.
Low nitrates are important but how will the tank cycle properly and begin to process the waste if there is nothing in it?
Remember, Xenia is a wonderful indicator of water quality. It is very hardy in the right conditions. It wasn't until my tank was at least 6 months old before I could keep it. There is no test kit for tank maturity. I would suggest some phyto or even adding a few flakes of food every couple of days to start building up the bio.
You saw how healthy everything in my system was. I have a very heavy bioload and tend to overfeed.
Good luck and remember, there is more where that came from.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am trying to learn about xenia myself. I have two of them, one at the bottom of my tank in the sand, and the other towards the middle set up on some rock. the one in the middle seems to be happy. The one on the bottom is open but doesn't seem to be as happy. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tom.

I added some flake food into the tank tonight and the xenia did seem to pulse more - or maybe it's my imagination. Anyway, the hermits and bristleworms seemed to really appreciate the flake food :banana: . I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Xenia likes a lot of light, Medium to high flow, and High Alk.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Butch, I was at the BMW plant yesterday and got to see the roadsters being built - I think they got one with your name on it :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Hey Butch, I was at the BMW plant yesterday and got to see the roadsters being built - I think they got one with your name on it
No way, Hoang! I'm keeping what I got! :cool: They discontinued my color, plus I just can't see spending all that extra money. So I'll just have to settle for the 3.0i for now :rolleyes:

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Xenia do eat, but they seem to only eat dissolved organics. Nobody knows what exactly the pulsing or lack thereof means as some pulse quite a bit right before they die and others grown and spread without pulsing. Mine pulse and spread all the time.

If Xenia is doing poorly in a tank, my first reaction is to check pH at various points in the day and see if it ever swings kind of low (below 8.1).

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ben said:
If Xenia is doing poorly in a tank, my first reaction is to check pH at various points in the day and see if it ever swings kind of low (below 8.1).
Hmmm, can't do that right now, but maybe this weekend if needed. This morning the xenia seemed more extended and it is definitely pulsing more. I also increased the flow around the xenia last night. Hopefully, they are recovering. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Unless its the Z4 M Coupe Roadster! Mmmm, I love BMWs more than fishies, by far. More than my dogs, and maybe more than my girlfriend and mother =\ Just dont tell my girlfriend, though she already suspects it lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts