The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend? I know I need minimal contact points with the rock and the bottom...so trying to design it right... do you think 1/2 in clearance from the rock and starboard is enough for water to flow underneath and prevent detritus from getting trapped? would 1/4inch be enough, or at least 1"?

What I am planning on doing is using 1/4in fiberglass as legs... drill 1/4in holes in the starboard... and then 1/4 in holes in the rock.... essentiall, they will be like legs/pegs... what do you guys think?

G

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
That sounds like a great way to suspend the rock! As for the clearance, are you going to be using a spraybar for flow under there? I would say around 3/4 or so. It doesn't have to be a huge amount but you do want to make it enough to not hamper the water movement. If you have the shapes in your rock, just put points down and maybe have "hollows under there to maybe get some good swirling type motion. I wouldn't go any lower than 3/4 though. I guess a short version would be" as high as you can and still have it asthetically pleasing".

Robert

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't planning on a spray bar... but I guess I could... any links where I can find them? Or just make one myself?

My flow looks like this:

1 return pump with 2 returns that are coming from over the top of the tank and pointing straight down the back of the tank, one on each side of the overflow.

I then have a 1.5 in drain for my CL powered by reeflo DART going to 4 returns but first through an OM 4 way... there are 2 CL returns half way up the tank that will be pointing down to push water straight down the back... from there, the OM 4way will then switch to the other 2 CL returns that are located about 2in off the bottom of the tank.. these returns are going to push water to the front of the tank... the water would then hit the glass and lift up and towards the overflow.

I also will have 2x6100 tunze streams...still not sure where I will place these.

Any suggestions given this flow scheme?

G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
But you are talking about a dart driving it! That OEM 4 way runs just one output at a time right?

Honestly I wouldn't get too wrapped up on the spray bar thing, if you have enough in tank flow you won't need it. If you don't and have a spray-bar all you are going to do is move the detritus onto the rock which is just as bad.

Whiskey

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OM 4way..

actually the drum on my 4 way will have 2 returns open each time.. so the 3600gph flow (minus GPH friction loss) will get split up to 2 CL returns each time, so I am guestimating around 1500gph coming out of each CL return at a time..I guess that is a lot of current..

So you guys suggest I make a spray bar all the way across the back using the CL return hole that is 2inch from the bottom of the tank? If so, what size PVC, how big of holes?

Where would I then put my tunze 6100s?

G

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another question I have is, what am I to do with my 120g sump now that I am going BB... my skimmer is external, I dont need a fuge....I was thinking of maybe turning it into a RBTA holding area with a clown or two....or is that not a good idea? I know they can move around and cause jams..but if I put them in the center section with a good screen, shouldnt it be ok?

Otherwise, what else can I use the sump for? I know live sand isnt helpful... neither is LR, since it could cause more detritus build up in the sump...

G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
The sump is a settling area, the center section is for heavy detritus that doesn't get skimmed to drop out. If you have RBTAs and clowns in there it would drop on them :p plus it would make it much hard to remove the detritus. That is what the sump is used for, and it does it well.

I have never used a spraybar, so I can't really tell you the best way to do it, on the streams it will take a bit of playing with to find the proper way.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Spraybars are simple and you can run one with what you have.I have a 150 and a CLS with the spraybar integrated into it. Ran by a Barracuda. They work awesome at keeping things clean under the rock and the heavy stuff pushed to the front. I will never have a tank without one.

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts