The Reef Tank banner

How often and How much?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
I have a 150 with a 30 gallon sump. I was just wondering how often and how much do you feed your fish? The reason I ask is I had been feeding my fish every 2 days and only what they could eat in a min or so. My wrasse seemed unhappy and his jumping had increased. After posting a thread I was wondering if he may be hungry? I have no problem feeding him 2x a day but I'm a little worried that will cause an algae outbreak in my tank. I do biweekly water changes(20-25 gallons) with rodi water. I have a new aquac180 skimmer that's working really well. In my tank I have
1 wrasse 4 inches
1 yellow tang 4 inches
6 chalk bass 1-2 inches each
1 bullet goby 4-5 inches
1 flame angel 3-4 inches
lots of snails
a few hermit crabs
a few little blue star fish
soft corals along with a few frogspawn and hammer corals.
Thanks for any input.
Patrick

·
Registered
941 Posts
We have a 210 w/a large sump/refug (about 75 gallons). I have 5 angels, 2 magnificent foxfaces, mandarin, 2 neon gobies, sixline, melanarus, lineatus,, rhomboid, 2 clowns, 2 laboutis, tang and clown fairy.
We feed 2-3 times a day and skim w/an ASM G4+ w/the mesh mod. We do a weekly water change of 20-25 gallons. My tank is mostly SPS w/a few LPS corals, all my corals look fine & have no effects of the feedings.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I feed every other day. I alternate nori in my tanks with tangs so they get plenty to eat

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Every other day, with Nori every day. I don't think your wrasse is jumping due to hunger. My guess is he doesn't like someone in the tank at all.

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
i feed 1 cube a day of brine or emerald entree and some pellets

·
Registered
670 Posts
everyday a variety to keep them happy/ my brittle star gets fed privately to keep him from eating his tankmates.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i tend to feed 2 times a day, mainly because of my work schedule. on the weekends i have been known to feed 4 times a day.

the most important part about feeding is getting the food out once it has been eaten. if your exports are not close to your imports you will be heading towards algae problems.

G~

·
Registered
480 Posts
I feed two times a day, My fish are pretty agressive eaters and eat 90 percent of the food in about 30 seconds so I dont worry about anything going to waste.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I don't keep a large number of fishes, and the ones I do keep are all herbivores with the exception of the two mandarins and a small clown in the prop tank (don't ask... :rolleyes: ). I feed every 3 to 5 days, if then, and if it is not cleaned up in 5 minutes of observation, I remove the feeder and any scraps I can net.

I might add that I have to battle those in my household that feel that the fish are always hungry in my tanks so it doesn't hurt to sneak them a small (I hope) feeding every now and then when I am not looking or not at home... :squint:

No space for my vote, so I didn't...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What type of wrasse is it? My ornate wrasse picks at the rocks all day, and most wrasse should be eating pods and other critters in your tank, to supplement your feeding.

I do notice there has been a change in theme to more frequent feeding (seems like the advice always used to be to feed every other day here). I think frequent feeding is healthier for some fish (herbivores like tangs are fine just grazing, but others arent), as long as you have the skimming to keep up with it, and flow to prevent detritus from settling too much.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i never use flake on my reef tank. they have way to much phosphates in them. i only feed San Francisco brand frozen foods to my tank. anything else i feed i make sure that there are not any other ingredients on the package except what i know is food. if i am feeding krill than the package needs to say krill, water, and nothing else.

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks Geoff Ive mostly been feeding flake
prime reef
formula two
red sea MarineGro
freeze dried plankton
freeze dried cyclop-eeze
along with nori and a frozen mixed food. I only feed the frozen 1x a week

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i have a 24g aquapod with a built in sump. I have a blue mandarin, blue damsel, and a clown fish. inverts i have margarita snails, serpant star, and numerous hermits. I have a bunch of coral. Looking at my website will be a better way to see. Anyway i feed everyother day. I feed my fish frozen brine plus and the corals kent expert series zoo/phyto

1 - 20 of 45 Posts