The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many power heads would it take in a 150 gallon tank to get good flow instead of a CLS? We are thinking of using our new Mag 2400 pump we got for a CLS for the main tank inflow from the sump and use power heads in the tank. Currently we have a 750 gallon pump in the sump. Then we would get a couple power heads with the occelators on them to run in the tank.

Will this work? Why? Or give me other options.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
The powersweep ph's you are talking about only ever oscillate for a month tops. you would be better off reconsidering what type of ph you want. To be truthful the best powerheads are the tunze streams and the seio's as they provide a more laminar flow. Only drawback is they are expensive:(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are we talking about the same thing? I am thinking of getting two 900 GPH power heads, and buying two of these to go on them.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are you still having problems getting the Mag 24 to push the water? that Mag 24 on the CLS should work fine.

you really can not use that sized pump as a return. there is no way the overflow can even hope to keep up with that pump. you will have to valve it off so much that it would make sense.

G~

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hubby thinks that CLS that we made will just be too much trouble to keep going everytime I had to do a water change. Plus we were going to have to come up with some kind of shelf for it to set on. We didn't know how to go about that. That( a CLS would still be my idea to go

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
make the csl so that it rests on top of the tank. Use the center brace(s) to your advantage and then just use loc lines comming off of it to direct flow. Here is a pic of the one I have on my 220.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a shot of it on the tank? How do you have your pump set up. I was told I would have to have my pump at water level or lower. That is my problem. I'm really curious about your setup, could you please give me more info on it? and possibly some more pics. I would really like to run a CLS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts