The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 55 gallon saltwater tank, an emporer 400 bio wheel filter, protien skimmer, and 1 maxi jet 400 powerhead. This powerhead doesnt create much flow in my tank thus after a while sediment settles on the bottom and red slime becomes a problem. I am going to buy another one or two and didnt know how much water movement is too much. Can someone help me out with this that has experienced something similiar with using maxi jet products, thank you

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
On my 75G I'm using 6 Maxijet 1200. Two on each sides and two facing each other at the middle. :) I have sps, lps and zoas in the tank and doing great. They're running 24/7 nonstop and corals are doing great. On my 29G I'm using 2 Maxijet 1200 and 2 Maxijet 900 also on 24/7.

You need more movement on that 55G otherwise you'd end up having algae or cyano problems.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I wouldnt worry about too much flow!! In my 55 I had 2200gph running through CLS's. To help keep the detritus suspended you could take a length of 1/2 PVC and place it along the bottom back of the tank with holes drilled the length of the pipe. Attach the Maxijet to one end and cap the other. Situate the pipe so that the water flow is directed the way you want. You could use it to "sweep" the top of your substrate and keep the poo in the water for the skimmer to get!

Robert

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i would get a Seio or two or a Tunze stream. these are propellor pumps and move a lot of water with little energy.

i would also remove the bio-wheel filter. not needed and can create more problems than you think it is helping. :D

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts