The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, is it ok if i get one of each of the fish that i have mentioned? clown gobies citris/greens, cardinals, blennies, and maybe just clownfish? how many of each?
how many crabs/shrimp/starfish?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->:beer:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
First off..your little animated signature is funny. :)

As for your question.. how much LR do you have to help with bioload? For a 29 gal, I don't know if I would go more then 3 fish. My 2 clowns did a good job of taking up most of the space in my 20 gal tank. So my worry would be that the fist would feel crowded, and thus stressed, and thus get ill. Clown gobies stay small, so no problem there. As for the blennies, cardinals, and clown.. I would pick 2 out of the 3. Just my 2 cents. I like to play it on the conservative side. :)

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Oh my gosh that is the coolest Gif i have seen in a while.

... that may be too many fish. your good for a standard of 3" of fish. i would not do mor that 3-4 total fish in the tank and only if they are small.

·
Registered
300 Posts
that is an awesome signature gif! Get 'em fido! As far as fish... yup, what they said.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm.. so i gotta decide which ones i like the most, heh. so, a spotted orange goby, i know i wanna get. any other suggestions? i know i want a starfish, if those even count as fish and a hermit crab.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
make sure you get the orange spot shrimp goby (amblyeleotris guttata) and NOT the orangespotted sleeper goby (valenciennea puellaris). The last one I mentioned will almost assuredly starve in a small system (they need large quantities of self-replenishing live substrate for constant food supply). also, most starfish need larger quantities of LR to forage/feed on than can be held in a 29 gallon. in shimeks (the invert expert) invert book, he recommends sea stars go into systems no less than 100 gallons large. (If you are going to try a seastar, at least make sure your system has been established for a year or more.)The exception is the brittle or serpent stars, which are sometimes/most cases predatory on fish, detritus, etc.

if it was me, I'd do the shrimp goby and symbiont shrimp, a rarer species of clown (maybe a pair) and a blenny (your choice, pick one which does well in captivity and dont get one that nips clams/corals if you plan on keeping them)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
another question, how many fish can i go with if i get a 6incher will they survive? im guessing like 2 or so. could i get one 6incher and then like 2-3 3"inchers? or would that be overcrowded.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I would think 6" total ( adult length) would max out your system. If you over stock be prepared to up your water change schedule :)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
good call on the zebra dart gobies/bar gobies, they are really neat!

if you go with a fish that is 6 inches, just make sure you dont pick one thats super active and needs a lot of swimming room

From someone who's already made the mistake....I actually have quite overstocked my 55 gallon, and whereas I love the fish I have and won't get rid of any (what Ive got in there seems to be working), I would like to have a cleaner, less busy tank. so choose carefully. and remember you have your whole life in the hobby to keep all the different fish you want to keep at different times/tanks.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
well I dont know, it depends WHICH fish you choose! If you do like I did and get an anthias which requires tons of food constantly, youre going to regret it. (I no longer have the anthias). throw out some specific fish combinations and we will comment. do you have the book 'Marine Fishes: 500 essential to know aquariums pecies?' If not, that is literally my fish bible. you need to get one!

to answer your question strictly speaking, that might be ok, but you need to check food and space requirements and compatibility, also with the other corals/motile inverts you plan on keeping. (there is a companion book called Marine Invertibrates you need to get for that purpose.)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok here are some fish that i like/want
2 clowns and 2 gobies w/1 hermit crab?
2 clowns 1 spotted card, and 1 goby w/1 hermit crab?
i havent found any 6inchers yet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found some 6inchers Dwarf angelfish
the specific one im looking at is the Lemonpeel says reef compatible but with caution... and maybe like 2 3" clownfish.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i have always wanted to keep a lemonpeel angel. I havent been able to do it though because I am skeered it will harass my corals. I ABSOLUTELY ABHORR worrying about my tank so I try VERY HARD to control myself from doing things that might cause me worry.

I feel like I keep shooting holes in your plan but I will go ahead anyways (I swear, I am only trying to be helpful)

re: lemonpeel and reef compatibility:

"notorious for nipping large polyp stony corals and tridacnic clam mantles, may also eat some soft coral polyps and nip and zoanthids." so, if you can live with that, I say go for it. (but if youre like me and worry, then dont!)

they also need frequent feeding and to be in a tank where they can graze microalgae constantly (so make sure your tank is well established with plenty of algae)

heres some fish I would recommend for your tank:

clowns (any type besides maroon--grow too mean!)
assessor (blue or yellow)
gramma (brazilian or royal)
cardinal (I like the banggai)
sixline wrasse
orchid dottyback (all the other kinds are TOO MEAN!)
flasher or fairy wrasses (any type)
zebra dart goby (a trio, they like to be in groups)
firefish (any type, keep singly or in a mater pair; good luck finding an actual mated pair)
red checkered sand hopper/perch (parapercis schauinslandi)
neon goby
any of the clown gobies
yellowtail fang blenny (I had one once, it swam so cool, and was fun to watch it hunt for copepods!)
golden wrasse (some wrasses feed on motile inverts though)
twinspot hogfish
smaller hawkfish (but they can go after inverts too)
jawfish (if you add enough sand/coral rubble for them to dig/build their burrow)
chalk bass
regarding the shrimp gobies and namely the yellow watchman goby, ive heard from people/lfs coworkers (when I used to work at a lfs) that they get too mean. maybe a ywg owner can chime in...

that ought to get you started. I like to go to google image search and find pictures of fish people tell me about. ;)

if youre like me, the planning stage is the most fun! enjoy it while you can and come up with a foolproof plan!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts