Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:read: I've read:
- 1 fish per 5 gallons of water
- 2 inches of fish per gallon of water
- 5 inches of fish per gallon of water

What does everyone recommend?:confused:

I am starting to stock my 30 gallon and don't want to over-do it... like I did in the 9 gallon. :doh: I have one damsel and, just added two blue-green chromis.

Is adding an invert the same as adding a fish?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I wouldn't add more than one additional fish to a 30 gallon. Generally speaking, inverts don't increase your bioload like fish do, ime.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Fish per gallon is misleading and not really a good way to figure stocking levels in a SW tank. Need to consider the type of fish (tangs like open water and need lots of space) and the natural habits of each. Consider the territorial nature etc.. i wouldn't put more than 3 smallish in a 30. You also have to consider filtration, how big is the skimmer, what kind of flow to keep the detritus suspended so the skimmer can get it etc.
each type of fish has different needs that go beyond gallons per inch.
The responsible thing to do is research what you want, make a solid informed decision if a 30 will work for them and limit the number of total fish.

Robert

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
The fish per gallon rules don't work very well, ime. It really depends on the type of fish, not necessarily how big it is. I have a 180 gallon tank and I wouldn't add more than one (maybe two) tangs to the tank.

·
Administrator
46,842 Posts
When trying to determine how many fish, all those factors play in, remember SW holds less dissolved oxygen than FW, higher temps will lower it even more. Anything over the amount that you tank would support for an extended period of time( say 4-6 hrs) is over loaded

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then, what you're all saying, is that I'm at the max now with the three small fish. Correct?

I have ample flow and just put in a Red Sea Prism Pro Skimmer. Will these work for the three fish? Can I add a couple of peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts