The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at webdr's tank, gorgeous. Now I AM NOT trying to single him out, but rather just using him to compare (and assuming webdr is a guy!). :nuts:
"he" has a 29g tall tank with 6 fish: Scooter Blenny Lyretail Anthia Disbar Anthia Engineer Goby Lawnmower Blenny Ocilarus.
You guys have told me over and over that my tank is at capacity, it is a 38g with 5 fish: a firefish, a seahorse, a bicolor blenny and two pj cardinals.
So, is he overstocked, or do I have room, or????????

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I always figure out how many fish you can have by how good your export is. Export takes many forms but,...

If you have to clean the front glass more than twice a week because it gets algae you are overstocked.

Let algae be your guide :D

Always remember, we can't see you, what you do, how you run things, or see your tank from day to day. We can only tell what is going on by our interpretation, of your interpretation of what you see and hear. For that reason people on an internet board tend to err on the side of caution, for good reason I think.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
11,345 Posts
afbengochea said:
I was always under the assumption that its best to figure out how many fish in the tank by total inches of fish.
Wiskey has it nailed.
Besides the husbandry part, a three inch mandarin and a 3 inch six line eating solely pods vs one 6 inch volitan eating feeder fish, are going to have a drastically different effect on a tanks bioload.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have three fish in my 29 gallon. I believe however my daily algae is due to phos. from overfeeding and lack of ro/ di water until now

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been pretty lucky with algae so far *knock on head, er, wood* I get a very light film on the glass, but you have to get down on the floor and look up to see it... it usually has snail trails through it, I like that!

·
Registered
597 Posts
i have a 125 thats been set up for about two months and i set it up with cured rock and its only got about five small fish in it and i have to scrape the algae every three days or so.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have 5 fish in my 24 gallon(temporarily). As long as I don't overfeed I only have to clean the algae once a week.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i have 7 fish in a 46 gallon bow, all are the smallest of fish, but i stay ontop of husbandry, i get a good bit of algae in the sand bed, but its new, and nothing really gets on my glass except a few filaments here and there.

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Hey thanks for the compliment!!!! I feel that Im at capacity as far as fish go. Thats not because there are any adverse effects from having a large bio-load, It's just my brain saying "Hey man, lay off the credit card!" My tank is doing very well now. The engineer goby is an exceptional scavenger...nothing gets by him. Literally. After feeding the tank(I feed twice a day to keep the anthias happy) he scavanges for about an hour. I clean the glass once every week and a half and its not alot of film. 5 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.

I actually just bought a 37 tall andIm preparing to make the switch. I also have a 20 long sump and a brand new AquaC EV120 skimmer overdriven with a mag7. Nothing is up and running yet but I feel the added gallons, a sump w/ a refugium, and a kick butt skimmer will allow me to focus more on continuing SPS coral propagation. I will post a build thread in the next few weeks.

I was "skimming" over your blog....are you not running a skimmer still? If you do want to add another fish, it certainly wouldnt hurt anything if you ran that coralife. My opinion is; good husbandry and a good skimmer will allow a higher bio load...within reason of course.

Oh yea, I am a guy...:dance:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it is completely about the export. it really is amazing the amount of fish you really can put in a tank that has monster flow and skimmer. i have 8 fish now in a 125g. i am not even close to pushing the limits of it yet. i have very little detritus and i clean the glass once every other week or so. i plan on at least doubling if not tripling the amount of fish in the system by the time i am through.

as long as the food is removed almost immediately along with the fish poo. than there is no real limit for fish in a system. the size of the fish really becomes the important factor, not the number.

G~

·
ReefKeeper
306 Posts
Why is the algae growth a good indicator of being overloaded? I would think that the nitrate increase is indicative of a heavily loaded tank. Can one of you explain this to me? I've had a tank now for about 6 months and want to understand this better.

Other than algae growth, what analytical method can I use to indicate "overstocking"

Thanks

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I am confused now too. I have virtually no algae but tons of skimming with 5 fish in a 55 and am still trying to understand the relationship.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nope, no skimmer, but if I ever get that sump built then it will fit in there. Thanks for all the great info!!! Thanks to you webdr for not being offended. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
One thing nobody seems to consider when thinking how many fish is that fish need their space.
Most salt fish are territorial and even though the water conditions may be good if you have a small tank it can overcrowd easily.
It does depend alot on which fish you keep together.

kass

·
Registered
107 Posts
Debssisterflo you have a seahorse that limits what you can have. The more fish in a tank with a horse the more stress on that fish. If you add the wrong fish it may make it difficult for him to get enough to eat, not being fast swimmers its hard for them to compete for food.
Fish load and algae growth??? Not sure I understand the compairison here. Just because I have algae grow on the glass does not mean my tank is maxed out.
Having trouble keeping your nitrates in check could be a sign you have too many fish or you need to do more water changes.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
well we have 12 now in our 210 and have almost no algae we have 2 8-10 inch tangs....yellow, naso

1 - 20 of 22 Posts