The Reef Tank banner
141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
I need to sort out a timer. I am thinking a smart outlet as the lights don’t have any built in controls. I can set a schedule then and also turn on or off remotely.
That's a great idea! Like a timer but remote control is possible. The only slight concern about this is that if your WiFi is down, and the signal is sent to shut off the lights, then they might run 24 hours because it doesn't receive the signal.

I have these smart outlets on my house though, and the smart switches. I have a number of programmed times on various outside lights and have not really had an issue with this that I have ever noticed.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I have had pretty good luck with the other automations I have set up. I should be able to operate the lights by voice with Alexa as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Having watched a number of videos and reading a number of articles and books I am starting to consider removing the decaying shrimp from the tank and putting in a small crab or possibly a damsel or a couple clowns. Not sure. I know it was done in the past to cycle with fish. It works but it was also changed for a reason. Gonna go tend to some chores and have a think about it.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
Rick, it was the standard way of cycling years ago. Put a seed from another tank and add damsels to the tank and let it go. Done it like that for years and never blisters a fish. The reason it changed was to not harm the fish. But in a large tank like a 75 gallon it would never really be harmful as the levels would never reach dangerous levels.,
But if you do pull the shrimp don’t add anything to the tank if you have any ammonia showing up when testing. Right now if you pulled the shrimp the cycle will finish on its own.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Having 3 acres of mowing under my belt to mull this over I think I should just stay the course here Vinnie. That was the plan and the cycle is coming along nicely. I decided to leave the meat in and let nature take it’s course. Ammonia was up again today but I also got some solid nitrites and a little nitrate. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke seems to be the rule of the day. I was going to compare this cycle with a bacteria dosed cycle in the 10 gallon so will do that. More on that in the other thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
OK. Update on the cycle.

Ammonia peaked at 1 three days ago and is now sitting at .25. It seems to be dropping exponentially as it dropped to .75 then straight to .25. I suppose the rate of bacteria growth being doubled makes it exponential.

nitrate peaked 3 days ago at 1 and now has dropped to .5.

Nitrite has slowly climbed from 7 three days ago to 20.

Lights have been on about 12 hours a day but no sign of algae. Still have a fat piece of clam meat in there.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
I'm guessing you did a 'me', and you labeled the readings wrong.....NITRITE/NITRATE?
It pretty much sounds as though your two systems are running neck n neck. looks like you'll be having a visit to your lfs in your near future. They were actually very fast cycles.....or since they weren't mine, perhaps only a 'perception', since when I cycle they TAKE FOREVER!
Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
Nitrite will alway peak first then convert to Nitrate. personally I would shrimp it let it run as if you had fish or bioload and let it run a month. By that time you should have no ammonia, little nitrite and elevated nitrate. If there are damsels in I would do a 1/4 tank water change a couple weeks and retest

141 - 148 of 148 Posts