The Reef Tank banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Shrimp are still dead. Just about to do some tests to see if any nitrates or nitrites have shown up. I had a little ammonia last time. We will see.

Started cleaning up and organizing. Putting away stuff from when we put the tank together. I am seeing enough stuff left over here for a 10 gallon tank…

Gonna change the name of this thread and maybe start a real 10 gallon thread.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
Interested in your ammonia test results. The reason is API seem to give false positive result even after the cycle in complete. So once you get nitrites and nitrites reading and still show .25 ammonia it probably a false reading.
Not that I think your near the end of the cycle. But just be aware that after a month and you still show ammonia it more then likely false. They are popular test kits mainly because of availability at chain fish stores.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Here you go Vinnie. I am reading .50ppm ammonia - .25 nitrite - and maybe a touch of nitrate. This is day 4

salinity is 1.025 and temp is 79F. No lights other than room lights when I am in there.

Liquid Publication Font Material property Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Yeah. Looks like it is starting. I have frozen shrimp in there but didn’t add anything else. I did buy the bio treatment but haven’t used it. I may use it in the 10 gallon I will be putting together this weekend with the left over bits. I am documenting all the readings etc and want to graph them to see how they rise and fall through the cycle. I realize it will only be relevant to my specific tank but a good way to visualize the process. I learn by seeing. It will be cool to compare the two different methods (with and without adding bio) in real time as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Well, last night was like this:

salinity 1.026
temp 79F
Am. .5
Nitrate just a trace
Nitrite. .5.

I am gathering from that the cycle is progressing and a slightly elevated salinity is calling for a top up with fresh water.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Nope. Not looking for a different number. Will leave it as is. Managed to get the lights hung this morning. About 6” above the water. They lift off easily for tank maintenance. Ignore the cord. I couldn’t resist plugging them in.

Water Vertebrate Blue Fluid Organism

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Looks good Rick.
What kind of light is that? I also see a grounding probe. I haven’t used one in years. Probably have one laying around. Kind of forgot about them.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Good old sunlight supply! I love it! 6 T5 bulbs over that tank will keep SPS easily, my 75 for a while had almost the exact same setup but I used a Sunlight Supply Retrofit kit. You might want to run on only 4 bulbs. Here is some data from my old system:

PAR-READINGSLEDT56T5 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

That should give you an idea about how much light to expect. My bulbs were also about 6" up.
This was the 6 bulb setup:
IMG_8391 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This was the 4 bulb with LED, they were just DIY 3W LED's on the spider chips, total of 120W of them at the time of testing.
LightHoodUp by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Yeah the t5 and vho was probably the two best lighting systems besides MH in the hobby. T5 over the vho because of size , you could get double the amount of bulbs in the same area.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Great info Whiskey! Thanks! I do also have a couple LED “moon strips”. Not sure what they are about. Very blue/purple when on.

I went in and smoothed out some sand. I had plenty of room using wand. Getting my arm all the way in would require lifting off the light.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Great info Whiskey! Thanks! I do also have a couple LED “moon strips”. Not sure what they are about. Very blue/purple when on.

I went in and smoothed out some sand. I had plenty of room using wand. Getting my arm all the way in would require lifting off the light.
Sure thing! The moon strips are probably to simulate Moon Light, but the really blue/purple ones aren't as natural IMHO, but they do make your corals floress at night which is a nice effect.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
I for one think using moon lights in most cases to bright and better off not using them but for a few hours before turning off all lights. That how I do mine just for the look. I wouldn’t leave on all night. Jmo

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I was thinking they were for night time viewing but didn’t know.

Just checking - I am supposed to be running without lights during the cycle correct? Don’t want to give algae a head start right?

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Lots of people say don’t. I always run them from the start. The algae going to come either way. As soon as you turn your lights on after the cycle you are going to get it. I rather look at a well lit tank then a dark tank for a month.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts