The Reef Tank banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Is there any down side to adding live bio? I know some on here have said they aren’t convinced. Being my rock is pretty much sterile I was considering it. I was watching some videos from BRS and they recommended Microbacter 7. I was wondering if there was actually a down side or if it was a case of “it doesn’t always work”. Being live, the shelf life may render some doses almost nil.

Any input is appreciated as always.
I like your idea of getting some coraline! And you might want to buy a small piece of rock or two too just to get the bacteria, pods, and other living things in there.

As far as the bottled bacteria goes, I don't know. It's not going to hurt anything, but I don't really think it helps much either. There are places where you can mail order pods, hitchikers, sand worms, real live sand from tanks, that kind of stuff. I would sooner do that then the bottled bacteria.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
I like your idea of getting some coraline! And you might want to buy a small piece of rock or two too just to get the bacteria, pods, and other living things in there.

As far as the bottled bacteria goes, I don't know. It's not going to hurt anything, but I don't really think it helps much either. There are places where you can mail order pods, hitchikers, sand worms, real live sand from tanks, that kind of stuff. I would sooner do that then the bottled bacteria.

Whiskey
Oh,.. forgot to say. Indo-Pacific Sea Farms is one such place.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
I would personally got eh 'decaying food stuff' route over bottled anything.......nothing against it other than what Jerry always says.....the old fashioned way is free, and you know it works!
Cherish the time with the Boy Rick, value His opinion, and do it your way after he leaves. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thanks all. Good stuff in here. Man does that sand take some rinsing. Holy smokes. After rearranging the rock I had I have something I think looks good with lots of spots for corals and a lot of caves, arches, and pass throughs. I added 60lbs of sand and have 20 more ready to put in if I think it needs it after the dust settles. No point in a pic at the moment.

Given I have some rock left over that just didn’t work into the mix I may put together a smaller tank. Who knows. I have a bunch to use.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well it was pretty much cleared by late last night. You couldn’t even see the rock by the time I got the sand in and each half pail of sand got 15 minutes of rinsing and agitation before being scooped in.

I snapped a few pics. You can still see some haze looking long way through the tank but the filter really did a great job. I will pull it and clean the sponges tonight and add bio & carbon. I put a couple chunks of frozen food in last night as a snack and will add a frozen shrimp after I clean the filter.

Natural material Wood Art Water Bedrock

Property Vertebrate Water Wood Interior design

Water Wood Art Sculpture Rock

Cuisine Dish Recipe Wood Art

Natural environment Water Fluid Coastal and oceanic landforms Wood

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks Vinnie. I wanted lots of tunnels front to back and pass throughs. The tightest spot is 2 1/2" from the glass at the back. I am thinking it is enough - I was aiming for 3" but the tank is narrow and inspite of everything being perfect when I mocked it up in the backyard it simply would not lock together with out that peice sticking out a bit.

I am not sure how many fish I will end up with Vinnie, but yes a fair bit of room to move around. I would like a pair clown fish as I like their movment and antics & think they are a pretty safe bet for a novice. There was a Yellow Longnose Butterfly fish at the LFS that was gorgeous. It was about 2 1/2" long and was $149.99. Not sure the care level for that one. I'd also like some kind of bottom dweller like a blenny or a goby. Maybe a watchman goby or a lawnmower blenny.

Yes Hack, that is a super cheap temp probe with an old dried up suction cup. I have a new suction cup for it so it will stay where it should be. It has been accurate so it will get mounted nice and neat somewhere while I go through and set everything up.

You guys always talk about salinity using specific gravity. Occaisionally I see it in PPM. Is there a reason the hobby seems to prefer SG?

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
You guys always talk about salinity using specific gravity. Occaisionally I see it in PPM. Is there a reason the hobby seems to prefer SG?
Tomato/Tomatoe.....On my swing arm I have both readings, and for some reason have always just gravitated to the SG.("See what I did there? :LOL: ") Yea,,,4th cup now.

THIS has always pretty much been our 'gold standard' we refer folks to for recommendations. A fairly 'safe' reference.....but if folks search the WEB long enough they can find the 'recommendation' they like. THIS is my GO-TO.
Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
When i worked in shops or setup displays for commercial account we always grabbed a bag of substrate fron established tank. I think that and a rotting shrimp is cheaper than bottled bacteria in a bottle, What is it going to live one. Shelf life is a bout as long as a door gunner on a Huey

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Well first set of readings after 48 hours is as follows:

Temp - 79F
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0

I added another shrimp because the first one is almost gone. Now we wait.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I tossed him in and he floated frozen for a while. When I came back he was stuck to the side of the power head so getting tons of flow ripping over him. I am sure that is accelerating his demise. The second one looks like it is gonna just settle on the sand.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
I can still recall my excitement Rick seeing that first marine tank 'cycle......I doubt you'll wind up testing more than I did, but I'll let Ya have a go at it. :LOL:
Your 2nd and 3rd tanks you'll have to force yourself to check the readings on occasion.....'Algae'? We're good, cycles done! :ROFLMAO:
Hack

101 - 120 of 148 Posts