The Reef Tank banner
241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
That is what I am thinking Vinnie. I am still wading through options at this point. I figure if I am going to buy new lights there is no reason to get bargain quality to get by for a while. I considered a quality 36” set up as it is a 48” tank but now I am thinking I should likely get something 48” that would work in the 60” 125 gallon should I decide to move everything to the bigger tank in a year or two.

That philosophy makes buying 3 smaller cube style lights more attractive but I am not sold in them yet. AI makes good products and I already have one of those. Good control abilities too but expensive.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I decided to go with the AI Prime 16HD. He had 1 in stock and is ordering me another. I liked the interface on the controls and it came with a ton of features.

I also bought parts to make my own light for the 10 gallon. We will see how that goes. I will cover that with pics in that thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Small form factor and clean look. Cooling fan is very quiet. Adds a nice shimmer to the tank as well. So far it is a good value for good quality.

I am thinking about what I may bring home today. I would like an anemone but not sure yet. Apparently my clowns will only host in a couple varieties and not sure what he has available. The clowns seem to have decided to host behind the return to the filter and they are in the back corner most of the time, I’d like to coax them out in to the reef. Being clowns I doubt I am going to change their mind much.

I could also use something to clean up my sand. I am at the green algae stage. The sand near the glass gets “cleaned” (turned over) when I scrub the tank. The sand in and around the rock doesn’t. I may get a sifter of some sort instead of the anemone. Depends on what he has that is a good price.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
Go with the 'sifter' for now Rick.......too early in my imho for an anemone. Too many 'surprises' lie ahead yet for you in your new systems.......anemones aren't overly fond of 'change'.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
Some clowns will never go to an anemone. Because of a few things, one is the common BTA’s are not a natural host to most clowns. They are mostly tank bred and raised and don’t have the natural instinct. Then if you are having corals they may cause problems if they move around the tank.
As far as getting one it’s is best to let the tank mature for awhile, not saying a tank raised anemone won’t adjust to a newer tank but it’s risky in the beginning. My tank was only a few months old when I got my small RBTA, now I have three good size ones that don’t move around .

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
By the way my clowns haven’t found any of the anemones. I wish they would. It’s so cool watching them . Mine stay up top along the back of tank.

I did start my tank with 100 % gulf live rock that may have giving me a more stable tank early on .

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Yeah, I was thinking that Hack. That is why I had a plan B.

My clowns are supposed to be wild caught so may have a stronger instinct Vinnie, but no guarantee.

I have mixed feelings about the wild caught vs tank raised options. Wild caught practices can be unethical to an extent and may affect wild populations but the genetic diversity is good.

Tank raised are used to life in an aquarium and are ecologically friendly but may be somewhat inbred. I suppose it may vary from species to species.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
OK Guys...,,,,,while every body's here......

Been a long time since I have seen any 'new' information, or science.......
The old 'wisdom' was Corals had to wait for the tank to mature 6 months to a year, and Anemones a year before adding.
I know I personally blew a whole big enough for a train to drive through about the 6 month thing with my Corals.....BUT as we all know I went 'softies'. Now most are doing Corals as soon as they've 'cycled' almost, and not hearing horror stories.
Do we need to revisit, and update our 'common wisdom'? I dislike just being a parrot and repeating 'what I have heard'.
Sounds like a great opportunity for 'forum growth'....,.,sorry Rick, didn't mean to HIJACK.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
It’s changed a lot in the last 15 or so years. I rather have wild caught fish and corals. But they pose another problem for us now. If you have a tank full of tank bred and raise fish. Been in sterile water since hatching or birth. And then you mix in wild caught that have been exposed to all kind of parasites, disease from the wild without a good quarantine. With copper and others meds , then introduce to fish that haven’t been exposed . It can be a disaster.
This really comes into play with seahorses. Adding wild with captive bred can chase you to lose them all.
You are correct on the captive bred being inbred, but a good breeder know how to handle that and use fish from different sources in their breeding practices. The same with seahorses.
mom sure my fish are a mix of wild and captive. But the wild have been quarantined before sale.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Well Hack there have always been varying options on when to add what when setting up a new system tank.
Of the articles I found when I was first getting ready to set up my first tank, was one by an old time reefer. He was one of deep sand bed people.
He started with dead sand and dry base rock that would be the base of his rock work. Did the shrimp cycle after ammonia and nitrite zeroed he did a water change to get the nitrates down then added live sand and live rock. After this he turned on his lights and let the algae grow. As he said until the tank looked like a golf course. Then came the clean up crew, he started with a base amount of various species and increased them gradually as needed until they got the tank cleaned. After the CUC got the tank under control he started adding corals, then fish. I find this method interesting as you have the tank go through the uglies without livestock. The draw back that stopped me from using it was it takes around 6 months if I remember correctly to get to the point of fish. I did not that much patience for my first tank. I do however think it would be an excellent way to set up. With the exception of the deep sand bed.
The thing you have to remember when adding corals early is not to add difficult species that have to have extremely stable conditions. There are small polyp stoney corals that will fine in this situation many if not all of the beginner SPS will work.
One day I want to try this method. My 125 may come in the house this summer and I may try it with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Awesome! My thread started a thread! It is great to have the input here and I wanna say I really appreciate it. All these opinions get put in the blender of my mind and amalgamated into an average opinion.

We (kids and I) went to the LFS and came home with critters. Ammonia and nitrites have both remained 0 so I added two cardinals and a Pakistani Butterfly. Wow is the PB beautiful! I got a very good deal on him. $40 for a 3 1/2” fish. Really nice stock. I will post pics when I put the lights back on later.

As far as routines mentioned in the other thread - I drip acclimated for 45 minutes until the water had doubled in volume then took a scoop out and gave it another 15 minutes. Then net them into the tank with the lights off for two hours. I will bring the lights up and feed some brine and mysis shrimp.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
I like the choice to go with the AI Prime lights! I have 2 of those, 4 of the Hydra HD 32's and one HD 64.

The light level out of those will be good for LPS and Softies I'm guessing on a 75G tank, but it's not going to keep SPS very well. Also there will likely be a shading effect as the corals grow out. The great news is that you can basically have a HD 32 by getting 2 more of them for pretty much the exact same price and a even better light spread than the 32 would ever have over the same area. This is exactly why I'm using 4 32HD's above my 135 instead of 2 64HD's.

Great choice, with great upgrade options later to make it even better if you decide to go a different direction in a couple years, or if your growth gets out of control ;)

Whiskey

241 - 257 of 257 Posts