The Reef Tank banner
221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Just sitting with my morning coffee and my light roasted a ballast. Lots of smoke and crackling bubbling noises. Fried real good. Unplugged and will pull it apart when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
It is a Sun Blaze 6 bulb T5. Running 54W Reef Master bulbs. My wife was home at the time and now doesn't trust the light. Apparently I am now looking for a new light...

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Yeah. I was looking at LEDs due to the fact you can control them easily but they are beastly expensive here. T5 lights are half the price. I am thinking about going to a 4 bulb. One actinic and three reef bulbs. Dunno. Gotta shop a bit.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
LEDs are ridiculous when it comes to price here also. By now you probably figured out I’m not a fan of LEDs. I love T5 and MH, but even the old power compact lights were great. But it like everything else, the suppliers push the LEDs and for the most part discontinued selling MH and sell very little T5’s.
leds can grow corals and do a good job . They are intense and produce little heat.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Not sure of what your economy is is Canada and price of gas, but I would buy really quick as I think the prices are going to jump up real soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Regular gas is around $8.45 a gallon right now. It is $8.80 at the highway truck stops. Diesel is higher. I put $200.00 in my truck and it didn't fill. In that sense, I can get some lights for about the cost of a tank of gas. Sounds cheaper when you put it like that...it ain't though

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
What is a good brand name for Reef lighting?
Really depends on budget. I like Reefbreeders, great lighting and not super ridiculous. I been using one of there early versions for years. I also have some Kessils which are great but would be expensive on a 75 gallon because you would have to go with multiple lights to get coverage. Then the ones Hack and Jerry use. Good lights , reasonable price but I think you only have the option to hang.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I was talking about a mount. However you can build your own LED lights it will not save any money if you use good quality parts though and there is not any point in doing it if don’t use good parts.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts

DISCLAIMER......I get NO kickback from these folks!

I have only had mine since January, so am far from an expert, or ready to claim what kind of longevity we're looking at. Jerry got me hooked on them.

I loved my t5's , but the coast of bulbs were just getting ridiculous, and finding them was becoming 'difficult'. If these last me a year, they're still cheaper than (16) 4' bulbs.....I'll be thrilled if I can get 3-4 years out of them.

Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
LEDs last for years, if you have a par meter you can document on if they slowly degrade. I imagine they do overtime. But you can increase intensity if that was the case.
He getting a kickback for sure guys.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Like I was telling Doug and Rick the other night in chat. I have never own or used a par meter. With vHO , T5 and MH really no need. The only reef I used LEDs in was my 120 that I lost in flood. It didn’t take long to get the light to grow SPS.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
Whiskey sent me his when I had my 'dinosaur-lights'....the t12's and the t8's crammed into my hood covered in foil. Was curious about the output over my tank, plus I had a whole wall of windows to offset them. I have since went out and bought one like his......wanted it for when I got my new t5s, so I didn't burn all my Corals up. 😁

Pet supply Wood Gas Glass Aquarium

Water Fluid Organism Pet supply Electric blue

Water Pet supply Fluid Organism Fish supply

They did the trick for keeping my softies, but think my PAR from just my lights at the top of the reef was struggling to hit 100......and at the bottom may have been around 45 PAR.

The t5's spoiled me....(2) 8-bulb 4' fixtures.....YEAH, that was a PAR MACHINE!

Blue Purple Lighting Architecture Symmetry

Blue Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

Though these new LEDs would make them cry in envy!
Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Well to rebuild the existing T5 light I would be needing 6 bulbs at $35.00 each and three ballasts at $40.00 each. That is around $350.00 and an expected $210 per year afterwards for bulbs replacements.

If I can find LED lights for $500 I will be 2 years to the break even point. Not including the energy savings.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts