The Reef Tank banner
201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
When it comes to fish I’ve always been a large fish person, I love the large Angels, triggers, tangs and puffers. Also love lion fish. I just no long have big enough tanks to suit most.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
I stopped using crabs of any kind for the clean up crew years ago. I only like snails .
crabs , I guess I pick that up from seahorses. No crabs in my seahorse tanks bleed over to my reefs. The best clean up crew are my tangs and snails and they do the job. I will say I never had an emerald crabs harm anything. But they do irritate stuff . Same with urchins, they knock stuff over.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
I think the duster is going in the 10 gallon temporarily for safe keeping until I catch the crab out in the open and can move him.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Made the weekly trip to the LFS this morning and hung out there for a bit. The tank has been pretty stable at 80F, 8.0 PH, 0 amm, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates. Moving the lights up 6” made all the difference in getting down to a 1 degree temp swing.

I added a starfish and a Toadstool Leather. First coral. We will see how it goes. It is about 2” across and I paid $40.00 for it. There is a small off shoot on the base so hopefully it will grow a second head.

Water Blue Natural environment Fish supply Organism

My little Pearl butterfly is eating like a champ and fattening up nicely. The clowns are goofballs.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
OK, we’ll I learned something today. Pro tip: check your mixed saltwater supply BEFORE you start a water change.

I did’nt do a water change last weekend as planned. I wanted to see if the bio I had built up was substantiak. Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 and nitrates were low.

I think a combination of too much light (14 to 16 hours) and some nitrates caused some green algae. Over the span of 24 hours it bloomed and covered 75% of the glass.

No problem. I will scrub and do a 50% water change. Clean it up and stick in the siphon & get out half the water.

Time to carry some Paul’s from the basement. Stick my hand in to do a salinity test before o add it to the tank and it is stone cold. Heater failed. At this point the aquarium was 80.8 and the mix tank is 67. I am adding a pitcher at a time dropping a degree then waiting for it to come back up. Gonna be a long night I think. Heater and wave maker are running and I could run filter if needed later.

How many hours is a guess for me? 6 T5 bulbs and a 75 gallon tank. One toadstool leather.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
I’m have never heated water when mixing. I still don’t. The only heat it gets is from the pump circulating. Even when doing tank maintenance I would carry water in 5 gallon buckets in the bed of my truck winter and summer. Never has any adverse effects. I do prefer colder over warmer.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
I am still at the “don’t let anything change” stage. Dropping the temp one degree in 5 minutes is freaking me out. Takes an hour to raise a degree with my heater and I figure I have three more of those cycles to fill the tank.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
I am still at the “don’t let anything change” stage. Dropping the temp one degree in 5 minutes is freaking me out.
Didn't take me long at all to get past THAT stage.:cool:
Do what's RIGHT......ALWAYS! Unless it doesn't work out that way, then no whoop.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
I only run a heater in my reef. It’s set to come on at 77 degrees. By morning the temperature drop to around that from cooler night hours and no lights. Then peak of day it will go to near 82 . No harm .
Seahorses have no heaters. They drop to 75 or 76 and may get up to 78 max. No chillers or heaters.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts