The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have a 10 gallon and a 30 gallon sitting here and a place to put them. I had started a thread when I first joined about switching my 125 to salt but found both time and money were short of what was going to be required. As most here know i have never done a marine tank.

I would like to set up a small version of a marine tank so I am gonna throw a bunch of nonsense out here for you guys to sort out.

In my head I am thinking:
  • a simple hang on back filter - possibly modified to be a skimmer rather than a bottom draw intake. I would do this by capping a small peice of ABS pipe and cutting longitudinal slots in the other end. I would slip it up around the intake of the HOB and it would be suction cupped to the glass pulling all the water from the surface. I am thinking a filter rated for 30 gallons or about 125 GPH flow.
  • I have dry rock - would have to cure it
  • Substrate is debateable - I would like crushed coral but bare bottom if it is less maintenance. Can you add crushed coral after?
  • I would like a fish or two - not sure what would be good in that size tank. I do spend a fair bit of time watching my tanks so something with some movement - Clown fish?
  • I would like some kind of life on the rocks so it looks like a reef - I have an LED light that fits the tank with various kinds and levels of of light available. I like some motion in the palnts as well so I was thinking soft corals?
  • I have a small power head so flow will not be a problem. it is rated for a 30 gallon as well and produces 118gph.

Basically my equipment would be a tank - a slightly modified HOB with a skimmer - a LED light - a power head. In the basement I have an RO/DI to produce water for changes and top ups. Would need to get a salt water test kit but have the stuff to test the salt concentration.

There ya go - a class project. What am I doing wrong & what can I stop worrying about?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess my biggest concern is that I have very little idea what I am doing and the thought of a small tank being less forgiving than a bigger volume of water has me spooked a bit. The other side of the coin is it "should" be less expensive to run and take a little less time to maintain. Maybe? Dunno. Saving grace is I got you guys and can get answers quick if things go south.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,608 Posts
Sounds cool Rick,

mid you want crushed coral doing it in the beginning is best. You can never rinse it to a point of having all the dust out and will cloud the water. If you have livestock in tank it probably make them unhappy.
As far as curing the rock you can do in tank during the cycle.
plenty of coral with lower lighting demands that most LEDs can support.
Now pictures are a plus

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts
OH MAN........, would you just move closer and make this easier all the way round! ;)

Knee jerk was the 10 gallon........but what we recommend to everyone is that 'the bigger the better/easier', so the 30 will get my nod.

SLOW DOWN......see what I mean about moving next door?

The price/time would be pretty in significant in these volumes in the near term. The ease would edge out with the 30, price LONG TERM goes to the 10.

Going 'low tech', which is the way I'd go with this......the HOB filter is fine, and I use the Aqua Clear HOB's every chance I get......and would even consider the 50 gallon size on the 30 to give you added flow if Corals required it.

If you like the look of substrate, go for it......sand is easier to keep clean than crushed coral....less hiding places.....BB is the easiest,m but personal preference.

Corals.......I'll gladly keep you stocked from my collection when the time comes. And way more Fish options with a 30, and Clowns would be groovy with that.

I'm gonna post this and get back latter,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the 30 is the smart choice. It needs to be resealed but otherwise is good to go. The 10 is simply convenient as I have everything for it on the shelf right now. I have some wave makers as well if need be. Yes, i would go with a 50 gal HOB if that was the case.

I had some confusion about the substrate. I do like my tanks to look like the environment I am trying to replicate so a BB tank would not me my own first choice. I didnt know the differences between sand and crushed coral - I thought all the reef tanks used crushed coral. I would have quite a bit of rock in it.

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts

·
Administrator
19,006 Posts
Nothing wrong with having substrate, and will always be a viable option. I was SLOW to give up sand because, as you said, 'it looks natural'.

You can sure get the ball rolling if your as 'patient as I am :unsure: :ROFLMAO: ' with the 10, and use what you got.......and as you get the supplies for the 30, you have an 'established' tank to move over to it all ready 'cycled'.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
Crushed coral very common in the 70’s and 80’s and 89’s , great for under gravel filters because of size . It’s what I’m using in my 36. It can be maintained by vacuuming it during water changes the same as fine grain sand. But if you get sand loving fish it’s to coarse.

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
T 5 will be hear for along time if you like them. More and more people are going back to them or supplementing their LEDs with them. To me they are more pleasing to the eyes then LEDs.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crushed coral very common in the 70’s and 80’s and 89’s , great for under gravel filters because of size . It’s what I’m using in my 36. It can be maintained by vacuuming it during water changes the same as fine grain sand. But if you get sand loving fish it’s to coarse.
Yeah, your thread for the 36 is what got this in my head. I love the under gravel. Would that be even less maintenance than the HOB? You are running down flow not reversed right?

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing wrong with having substrate, and will always be a viable option. I was SLOW to give up sand because, as you said, 'it looks natural'.

You can sure get the ball rolling if your as 'patient as I am :unsure: :ROFLMAO: ' with the 10, and use what you got.......and as you get the supplies for the 30, you have an 'established' tank to move over to it all ready 'cycled'.
Hack
Never thought of that. I was intending to cycle in the tank in its final position. Kinda wanted to watch the different phases of the cycle because I have never seen it. Figured I would learn about things a bit from that.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Biggest thing is to take your time and be patient.
If you start your cycle in the 10 you can put it about anywhere and you can watch it while you do a good careful job sealing the 30.
Many soft corals will give you movement similar to plants in the tank. They don’t normally require intense light so the fixture you have will most likely be sufficient.
With the 30 you can go with one of the small clownfish species such as percula or occellaris, maybe a pajama cardinal or 2. I have had PJ cardinals since I started my tank.One has been there since I started over 8-9 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is what I was thinking Jerry, thanks for chiming in. I am now wondering if I shouldn't just make a simple bulkhead and silicone it on the middle back to drop my HOB into. Might be a good place to drop bags of media into I wonder if I could put filter floss in it and fill the HOB with charcoal?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts