The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all of the fish in my tank have died off due to what i think is ich....
could have been something else like velvet or the clownfish disease (cant remember the name) two were clowns by the way..
My ? is how long should i wait until intorducing new fish? i have one fire shrimp, basic clean up crew corals and sand...

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
6 weeks is generally recommended, but I've read that ich can remain dormant for months in the substrate. Hate to say you may always be at risk, but that's why getting healthy fish, giving them a good diet, and maintaining water parameters is so important; a good immune system can fight off the parasite.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
From what I have read there is no such thing as a dormant stage for MI. The parasite can't wait around for another host. It MUST go through its cycle. Dr. Burgess recorded that in the cyst stage, he found the longest existing cyst to last for 60 days before releasing the free-swimming parasites. This is rare but possible.

Can't seem to find the reference for this

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you both for your replies. think ill give it 60 days and qt any and all new...... oh, one more question, could a shrimp, soft corals, or an anemone keep the ich alive?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
according to what I have read, ich needs a fish to continue that part of their life cycle. Of course you could easily spread ich with water or spores that happened to be on your inverts at the time of tranfer. But as far as actually hosting, everything I have read points to no.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I know the "accepted" rule is six weeks fallow and then QT all new fish and treat them with hypo etc....I'm not going to try and talk anyone out of this method as it has many benefits...but, I've seen Ich appear in tanks where the owner did all these things and was "sure" their tank was "Ich free"...does the Ich remain dormant?...does it hitchhike in on other livestock in some phase of it's life cycle?...is it really always present just waiting for a "stessor" to weaken the fishes imune system?...I have no idea, I just know that I've seen it happen.

My solution is proper husbandry, proper stocking (that means levels and aggression), and keep the fish as fat and happy as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts