The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you guys think it takes on average for a piece of dry lace rock from the LFS to be considered live rock?:fish: After putting it in your tank that is....:funny:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
depends, do you have other live rock? at what point to you consider it live? just bacteria? bacteria and pods? coraline growth? it wouldnt take long for it to be populated with bacteria and pods, but it would take a little while for the coraline algae to start. i believe most people say at least 5 months or so. ive also heard that it will turn black and nasty before it starts to look pretty again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I would consider it live when it is able to improve water quality. That means as soon as the bacteria is established, right?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yes, that would happen in a couple weeks i would think, most people stack base rock in the bottom back and cover it all with the good stuff, couldnt hurt, i say go for it.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Bacteria growth is what i consider LR. All the extra like pods and coraline are just extras. IMO LR is just the bacteria growth. A week or two before it starts to grow on the base rock is all it takes for that. Then coraline will start to grow in about 2-3 months and really start to look nice in 6 months.

I will have to take a picture of my tank to show you what all has grown on my base rocks in almost 2 months time. They are just starting to get some nice coraline growth starting and they are not a bright white anymore they are getting darker. I will take a picture tomorrow because the lights are off on my tank right now. I wont be able to get a picture until about 4pm est time.

Tim

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys. My friend is going to sell me his 110gallon tank this weekend and I am starting to make plans for it. It will probably be a FOWLR because it is too tall for reefing. So I'm beginning to think about things like the BR/LR ratio. I am going to need a lot of it and the BR is only $2.00/pound at my LFS. I may be able to get it cheaper if I buy fifty pounds or so at once. Any suggestions on how much rock I will need overall? How much BR can I get away with. I plan on taking this one REAL slow for budget reasons.:fish:

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
theplatypus said:
The 110 is too small for reefing? :)
:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: You are right my 72 gallon is to small i am over stocked in fish and i would like more but i can get more.:beer: :beer:

Yeah so go ahead and ship that tank to FL no cost to me and get yourself a new 500 gallon tank.

Tim

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
cobray said:
:) Too TALL. The light won't get down to the bottom!:beer:
2 options, put your corals high in the tank, OR get a bigger light. unless your tank is standing on end, its not too deep, you could probably get away with high wattage t-5's but a nice metal halide system will keep anything you want alive.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I could put them high in the tank. I figure I've got about a month to think about it while it cycles. I just brought it home a couple hours ago and it makes the 50 look tiny. It is the same length as the fifty (four feet), but a little deeper and nearly twice as tall. I can't wait to fill it up!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
what kinda lights are on it now? it cant be more than 20 inches tall, maybe 24? there are TONS of lights that hit that depth, what do you want to keep in it? and what kinda budget do you have for lights?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
leveldrummer said:
what kinda lights are on it now? it cant be more than 20 inches tall, maybe 24? there are TONS of lights that hit that depth, what do you want to keep in it? and what kinda budget do you have for lights?
It's 31inches high. The light budget is slim right now as I just ordered some T5s for my fifty gal. There are no lights on it right now. The plan is to keep the fifty as a reef and use the 110 for FOLWR. That way I could get all the creatures I wanted. I plan on tying the whole system together. I'll start a new thread here soon and post pictures as I build it up.:cool:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
those corals at the top left, the ones that look like saucers, what are they? ive been trying to find them but i dont know what they are called :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts