The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost the 4 fish in my 46, due to waiting too long to act on what I thought was slight ich. The fish started dying one by one, and the last 2 died in my QT. Taking that it was ich in the main tank, how long will the cysts live without a host? Will they be a threat to the corals or inverts in my tank? I was hoping to restock the tank within a few months. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
How long has your tank been set up? What are the specs on your tank? Give us a run down and we can help more efficiently from there! :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 46 Bow. Been set up for about 6 months, with about 55 lbs. of rock that was a couple years old. Corals include frogspawn, hammer, 2 torches, candy cane. Lighting is 2x96w and 2x55w pc, water tests out great. I believe when I added a Bicolor Angel, the angel became stressed and developed ich. It died in about a week. I kept an eye on the tank and now the pair of clowns and watchman goby have developed similar white spots, and lack of appetite. What would you recommend I feed them, or treat them. I moved them to a 20l with a bare bottom and no rock/decoration, except for 2 pieces of LR from a friend's tank for the goby to hide under.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have heard of people feeding their fish with selcon(sp) mixed in the food or using garlic as well. I believe it builds up their immune system for fighting off diseases! Putting them in the QT was right and keep them away from the main tank. You can treat them with copper and make sure they are healthy before returning to the main tank. I have not had the ick problem at this point so I am sure others have had more experinece with this disease!:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
You gotta check and make sure you don't get ammonia spike in the Q tank.
If you get ammonia spike , that could be a problem in itself.
Not sure if this is part of your problem.

You could leave them in the main tank and feed them garlic . Get some freeze dried blood worms and some Kyolic garlic extract and use it every day untill the ich is gone . Worked for me and never had ich again after a few years now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
OOPS, Forgot to mention , just soak the blood worms in the garlic for a few minutes and then feed to the fish.
Good luck !!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Ich is caused by an organism called "Ichthyophthirius multifiliis". The life span of this parasite consists of three stages. 1. Growth - The organisms attach to the fishes' skin. 2. Cyst - After dropping to the bottom of the tank the organisms divide while protected by a gelatin-like covering. 3. Infectious - The divided spores seek for a new host.

Without fish to provide a host I imagine in a few weeks or so but don't quote me on the exact amount of time! Anyone out there know for sure! Tom you around? Anybody?:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Also a tip bicolors are hard to keep and cause ich very easily they get stressed at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew that they were hard to keep, I had my supplier keep it at his place for about 2 weeks. Guess the car ride home got to him. Anyway, I'm staying away from them from now on.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
yea I have tried them twice both died so I gave up I have just about all the other dwarfs though:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the future, if I soak garlic into the food, what would happen if one of my LPS grabbed a piece? Is garlic bad for corals?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Hummm I dont know never thought about that:( Hope I havent given my LPS any?:eek:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've wondered about that too. I recently started adding a couple of drops of Kents "Garlic Xtreme" to frozen and flake foods before feeding it to my fish. More as a preventive measure, as I haven't seen any ick on my fish. Any way, first my Sarcophyton elegans closed up for several days (although its opened back up and looks better than ever), and now my green star polyps have closed up. Maybe its just coincidental that these happened when I started using garlic, but its made me curious. I also started adding selcon at the same time.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
manderson0805 said:
In the future, if I soak garlic into the food, what would happen if one of my LPS grabbed a piece? Is garlic bad for corals?
Will not be a problem in at the levels in an aquarium if you dose appropirately. Prolly not a problem even at high doses.

It works really well with crabs and shrimps, usually just put the garlic in with a little butrter in the pan for about 30 sec on medium heat before adding the shrimp/crabs. I usually stir them around for about a minute, then serve them on a bed of Caponelli with a little basil and olive oil...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
645 Posts
"Ich" the general term for most parasitesis typically, cryptocaren irritans. This is what is referred to as "Ich". Usually Ich (c.irritans)goes away with good water quality and is very seldom fatal, comparable in humans with the common cold. It sounds to me as though you have something more sinister. Amyloodinuium or Oodinium is often misdiagnoed as Ich (c. irritans) In either case, since you have removed your fish, it is best advised that you allow the system to go fallow or dormant for at least 4 weeks. This will allow the "free swimmers" to die off with out a host. The parasite will remain in the substrate of your system. It is assumed that parasites exist in all system. Water quality and other stresses being the trigger. Since the cysts will remain in the substrate it is advised that you make absolutly sure that the water quality is near perfect when you reintroduce. You may even want to go as far as siphoning out the substrate, and rinsing it in fresh water to remove as much of the cysts as possible. Whether you do this or not, you are almost guaranteed that the parasite will be in your system. Bottom line wait at least 4 weeks, rinse the subtrate if possible and restock slowly, beginning with inexpensive fish

1 - 20 of 23 Posts