The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mixed up 8 gallons for a waterchange on saturday morning. How long should I age it so it is good and doesent make the skimmer go crazy? Its in a plastic container with a rio 600.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i would say let it spin for at LEAST 24 hours. some people do less, and some more. but that should be long enough for everything to disolve and stabilize. what do the directions on the salt say?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use IO. It says it can be used immediatly but at youre own risk. I have mixed it on saturday morning so thats. about 72 hours mixing with a rio PH if I do it in tomorrows afternoon

·
Registered
851 Posts
Most people wait at least a day. When i do waterchanges I usually start the water mixing the night before, or the morning of. Then in the evening when the kids go to bed, i change the water. There have been a few times that i've done it a couple of hours after mixing it. I've seen no negative side effects either way. I use coralife salt because i was given a 5gal bucket full of it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I drop a maxijet1200 in a 5 gal bucket the day before the weekly dump in.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I do the same 5 gal bucket, Oceanic salt with a rio 600 pump and 24 hours perfect to taste every time....

Any one use the Red Sea salt made for RO/DI ??? My LFS just got some in and I was wondering if it was that good?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
The issue with using ASW that is freshly made is the time it takes for the buffer system to develop as CO2 comes to equilibrium in the water. The stronger the agitatin of the water, the more quickly it can be used. Craig Bingman used a paint stirrer on a heavy-duty high speed drill to mix some ASW and found that it will come to equilibrium within 15 minutes (that is a bit of overkill, but it demonstrates the concept). I normally wait 24 hours for the buffer system to develop using a 55 gal brute on wheels and a mag 7 to mix the water with a heater in the water. Using this method, you usualy wil see 8.2 pH in the water and 80F within 6 to 8 hours, but being as I am a bit more cautious, 24 hours is quick enough for me. This becomes more important as the volume mixed becomes larger. You can prolly mix a 5 gal batch of ASW with heavy agitatin in an hour or two, test the pH after some agitation and see where the value is. If you don't see pH = 8.2 and Temp = 80F (or whatever your tank value is), then let it circuate for a while longer.

Yet another reason to have a PinPoint pH probe.

HTH.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I use to waite a day with a powerhead and a heater in it.But it's normal for the skimmer to go crazy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts