The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank has been up for 2 months now. I have 1 clown fish, peppermint shrimp, and a hermit crab. I also have 8lb's of live rock a hydor koralia 240gph power head and 100 watts of cfl 50/50 bulbs. Its a 10 gallon tank and i have aragonite substrate. :help:

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
Your tank should be running clean for a year before adding an anemone, but a 10 gallon tank is really too small, IMO.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I wouldnt keep one in a 10G at all, most nems will be too large (and if not too large now, will grow fairly quickly to being too large)...and keeping salinity in check is a must. Doing this with having enough light for the nem and keeping evap in check as well as temperature and salinity stable is quite difficult.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt keep one in a 10G at all, most nems will be too large (and if not too large now, will grow fairly quickly to being too large)...and keeping salinity in check is a must. Doing this with having enough light for the nem and keeping evap in check as well as temperature and salinity stable is quite difficult.
If i keep all my parameters in check could i pull it off?:biggrinbounce:

·
Reef Junkie
564 Posts
youre right once in a while someone will pull it off but most likely it will die. I see them die in good set ups sometimes. when making a choice I like to base it off of more of a reality stand point over that one out of a hundred. This hobby is already expensive but it can be even more with continuous loss of live stock and replenishment. good luck either way

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Well, as said above, if you choose to do it, be aware of their requirements and keep on top of it.

1. It's ABSOLUTELY important to top off your tank daily with 0 TDS water (RO/DI or distilled). Hook up a reliable auto-topoff system if you can't attend to the tank daily.

2. Your lighting might be able to pull it off in a 10 gallon tank but I'd probably up for a smaller T5HO fixture.

3. Keep in mind that anemones don't stay put. They roam the tank and will sting and possibly kill corals in their path (this is a main reason for folks here suggesting a much larger tank, besides salinity and growth room). In a 10 gallon, if I were keeping an anemone I would highly recommend planning around the anemone because it will OWN the space. It will decide where it wants to be and when it wants to relocate, not you.

That's all I have to say on the issue. Hope this helps you out.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
Those are all great points, i2K. I have a BTA in a 28 gallon and it has grown tremendously - it dominates the tank. Now, I actually desired this and designed the system around it - but it owns the tank. Here's a pic (it's even larger than this now):

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, as said above, if you choose to do it, be aware of their requirements and keep on top of it.

1. It's ABSOLUTELY important to top off your tank daily with 0 TDS water (RO/DI or distilled). Hook up a reliable auto-topoff system if you can't attend to the tank daily.

2. Your lighting might be able to pull it off in a 10 gallon tank but I'd probably up for a smaller T5HO fixture.

3. Keep in mind that anemones don't stay put. They roam the tank and will sting and possibly kill corals in their path (this is a main reason for folks here suggesting a much larger tank, besides salinity and growth room). In a 10 gallon, if I were keeping an anemone I would highly recommend planning around the anemone because it will OWN the space. It will decide where it wants to be and when it wants to relocate, not you.

Well since i dont have any corals that should be a problem. And i was thinking about just getting another incendescent fixture with 2 more 10 watt 50/50's putting out a total of 200 watts 50/50 with 2 fixtures would that be good?

:fish::fish::fish:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Another question, why does the tank have to be topped of daily with RO/DI and i can just use the RO/DI from my house right i dont have to buy a special RO/DI unit just for my tank.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
You need to top off with fresh water (not salt water) because as your tank water evaporates, the specific gravity in the tank will rise to unacceptable levels.
As long as you have an in-house Reverse-Osmosis/DeIonized system to remove bad things from your tap water you can use that. If not, you can use Distilled Water from the store or purchase a filter system.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to top off with fresh water (not salt water) because as your tank water evaporates, the specific gravity in the tank will rise to unacceptable levels.
As long as you have an in-house Reverse-Osmosis/DeIonized system to remove bad things from your tap water you can use that. If not, you can use Distilled Water from the store or purchase a filter system.
I have a glass hood so it dosnt evaporate that fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts