1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
minutes ,,,,i would wait a half hr myself,,,,IMO

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
yup, play it safe, 'specially if it's outlet pressure type line,,,,:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have always been under the impression that you have to wait for several days. Not for worry of leaks but for the chemicals in the glue. Is this not the case? I have been wanting to make a new CLS. But, I didn't want to wait for days to hook it up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Pvc glue bonds and dries inside of 2 minutes. Its takes 15 minutes to cure. It doesn't actualy glue things together it bonds them because the glue basicaly melts the top layer of pvc.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hmm i knew it set in a matter of minutes, but i thought i was supposed to wait 24 hours for the toxins to be safe for using in the water... hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
559 Posts
nah jay thats just what is told to do it your selfers. I have worked with a plumbing company before and when we would go in to fix breaks on pvc we would glue and go. Basicaly once the glue hits any form of plastic it has a chemical reaction and strats to dry right away. 90% of all the toxins are released during the setting time and after a couple seconds it is fine. Although most will say to run some throw away water through first before useing but it isn't realy all that necessary to do so.

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
I realized when I was hooking up my refugium that I'd have no provision for flushing the water before it went into my main tank, so I put it all together except for the last joint and flushed that with tap water. Glued up the last joint and let it set for thrity minute, until I couldn't smell glue any more and fired it up. I did put some carbon to help absorb the organics, and maybe my skimmer increased production for awhile (couldn't really tell) but nothing seemed harmed, and that was a week ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.