The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.
Those of you that have bought the 200g bucket of IO from Petsmart...how long has it taken for them to get it to you?

I was thinking of ordering some next week, and noticed that it is still listed as "back ordered" I am assuming this is because they are selling it as quick as it comes in (at that price im sure of it). The question is, have any of you ordered it since it went on "back order" and if so how long did it take? Anyone know how often petsmart gets these buckets in? I was kinda wanting to set up the tank next week, and I might have to resort to paying 70 bucks for a bucket.....UGH....

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prismaco,
I buy all of my livestock from the LFS...I just can't justify paying 2.25 times more to the LFS for something that I can get for 32 bucks....75....32. Plus I have to pay taxes on the 75, no tax on the 32. Hell that will save me 40 bucks that I can spend on Live rock, or live stock at the LFS.

Also, this is the same LFS that once sold me an Amiracle Counter Current skimmer for over 100 bucks.....its under different ownership now, but I don't have alot of "customer pride" for the place just yet.

Lastly if I bought 200 lbs of live rock through a mail order would I be getting the red faced icon right now? After all I could have paid 11.99 a pound for the same stuff at the lfs?

Trust me I am not a big fan of the petsmart or petco chains either, but sometimes you have to do whats right for YOUR tank....paying double this time, is just "not right" for my tank.

Dave

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Agreed Dave! If I can get it cheaper some where else I have no problems doing so! I support my LFS every chance I can but this hobby is not cheap and any savings helps alot!!:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Your LFS is not doing their job if they can't cut you a deal basd on what you are getting from a retail giant. Always negotiate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Dave.
I just received 2 buckets of IO from Petsmart after waiting about 2 weeks after ordering(it was also backordered at that time). Hope that helps!

·
Registered
790 Posts
True dat Toadfish....Luckly we supply all the LFS with <>< so I get a price break on times. If you can get it cheaper somewhere else and your LFS isn't willing to drop the prices, then there you go...

-Paul

·
Registered
807 Posts
I ordered 3 buckets last Thursaday and haven't seen it yet. The website said there would be a confirmation e-mail when it was shipped and my credit card would be charged when the salt shipped.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It took me a about a week and half after I ordered my salt and it was back ordered as well.

I suport some fish stores like JennM's in Atlanta but the local fish stores here in Greenville are only out for profit and care little for the well being of the reefs or the animals the get off of them.

If I can buy from responsible online stores and get my corals, fish, and dry goods for 30 to 40 percent less you bet. I have a limited amount of funds and I have to maximize my purchasing power in order to be able to stay in this hobby that I love so.

I should not have negotiate with a lfs to a lower price on items I can get online cheaper. The majority of the time they are inflexible and will not lower their price. My lfs wants to charge $62 for a 200 Gallon Bucket of IO and if I can get it for $35 at Petsmart online you bet I am going buying from them.

Not all LFS Stores are bad and there are many that are responsible in their procurement of livestock and are not out to gouge the customer but, when I see a Maxijet 1200 being sold at my local lfs for $59.99 and I can order one from Marine Depot for $19.99 you do the math. So if you have an unlimited bankroll go for it I applaud you that you unlimited funds to support your lfs, I however will go where the best deal it for the money. Just my opinion.

Earl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts