The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Warden's Prisoner
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know how long test kits lasts. I have been using the same Aquarium Pharm Saltwater Master test kits for over a year and I want to know how long do kits last before they begin to degrade? Are the chemicals still good after a year? Can anyone make a recommendation on some other kits?

Thanks,

Trea

·
11,345 Posts
Its really relevant to the condidtions in which they are kept, just like food. The freshness dates manufactureres of anything state on their labels are based on average to less than average storage conditions. But if you keep things out of direct sunlight and in a cool dry place. most things will last seferal times their freshness dates. The only way to truly tell on test kits if they are still accurate after their freshness dates is to do test comparisons side by side with new ones. A couple pof months ago i purchased a lot of salifert test kits, 15 test kits on ebay for $30. They were all 2-5 years old. So far all of them that i have used have given me accurate results except for ammonia.......i think. I was cyucling a bunch of live rock that had extensive die-off, and althouigh i didnt purchase a new ammonia test kit to confirm the result(and dont plan on doing so), the test was reading zero ammonia when i knew that the reading had to be fairly high. The calcium, nitrate, magnesium, and ph/alkalinity tests have tested accurately and the cascium test is 4 years old. Im pretty sure the guy kept the stuff in a cool dry place out of sunlight or that wouldnt be the case.
I worked for a major microbrewery for years and although we would put a freshness date on the beer 4 months after its manufacture, the beer could be excellent after a year if kept under ideal circumstances.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Aquarium Pharm ALk kit lasted until I realized how inaccurate it was. I replaced it w/ a Salifert last week.

·
The Warden's Prisoner
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I might give Salifert a try.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am very pleased with my salifert test kits and I am witching the rest over as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts