The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the longest you would go without feeding the tank?

(I am going out of town for 4 days and don't know if I trust anyone else with the food?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
The length of time you can go without feeding your tank will vary drastically depending on the tank inhabitants. . . even so, 4 days is a long time with no food (perhaps a weekend feeder would help?)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will mix up a little formula one/mysis cocktail in a shot glass and put it in the fridge with directions to dose 1/2 at a time every other day. And to put a pinch of flakes in on the alternate days. I think that will be ok. The tank is only 6 weeks old but of course full of life already. Hopefully I'll come back to see all my friends as I left them......

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I go 3-4 days without feeding but my tank is over 2 years old and plenty of LR to keep them nibbling!:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Doug.....the live rock is pretty grown and I see the fish picking all the time so I think I'll be ok. I am preparing a "cocktail" which my caretaker can dump into the tank 2 out of the 5 days we'll be gone.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If your fish are eating any dry food (flake or pellet), why not use an automatic feeder? I use one when I'm gone for a week at a time, and set it up so that it feeds a little flake food every other day. Works Ok for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autofeeder is a great idea and I will invest in one before we start our winter ski trips, but I don't have time to get one before we go away (tomorrow morning) and since I have someone staying in the house this time I think it will be OK.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Our tanks often go several days without feeding. 4 days will not hurt anything.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.