The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ballast died yesterday on my 90 gallon tank of Soft and LPS corals. It will be monday night at earliest before it will be replaced. I have had a day or two with out light on my tanks before but never six days.

Comments? Suggestions?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Does it get any sunlight? I think if you place some sort of light near it, it should be fine. After all, many times a reef might go with 3-4 days of cloudy skies and they survive. They won't be happy, but they should be okay. But, if you can get any kind of lamp to shine in there, then I believe they will survive. I know many who lost power during the ice storm just had heaters and powerheads going, and most of their corals pulled through just fine. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Even though the clouds may block out the sun the ocean isn't totally void of light or UV. I would try to get some sort of light on there, even if nominal. Now may be a good time to purchase a backup fixture. Like a 55w PC would suffice for 6 days.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss of lights....

My tank went almost 3 days without light when my lights were being installed in the canopy....they made it through fine....

Are you going to stick with the T-5s?

J.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very happy with the results of the T5s. The corals were doing great. I think the ballast failed because of the crappy endcaps I used. They were not secure and that lead to one of the bulbs having a very weak connection(pretty much falling out). I think that lead the ballast to frying itself. Not to mention this was an old IceCap 660 that had been sent in for repair once already. When it failed last time it was driving VHOs

·
A Little Fishy
360 Posts
As crazy as this sounds it worked for me once a few years ago. I also had a ballast die and would have been without lights for about 5 days. The tank was positioned so it did not receive any direct sunlight (usually a good thing). I had an old large mirror in the attic and "strategically" placed it so it reflected the sunlight from a window into the tank for at least part of the day. Desperation and all that engineering school paid off!:funny: No ill effects to the tank after 5 days without lights. Algae actually started growing on the glass. Necessity is the mother of invention!:beer:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm in the cities, but I've got a 250/6500k set up that I won't be using for about a month.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Last year when I upgraded from 190g to 320g, All my corals including some exotic sps were without lights for 7 days.

However, I did have some bleaching occur because when I got the lights put back on I didn't reacclimate the corals to the light.

It took about 3 days later until I began to see the ill effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts