The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm battling some red cyano and have tried multiple natural fixes for root cause with no luck. Yesterday I dosed with chemiclean, removed carbon, and turned off my skimmer. I know the directions say to do the 25% water change 48 hours after dosing, but could I wait longer, like 4 days after dosing? Would this cause issues with the dead bacteria floating around my tank? Reason asking is that I'm traveling for work this week leaving tomorrow. I could go ahead and change my water tomorrow, which would be very close to 48 hours, or I could wait until I return on Friday. Please advise.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Better under 48 hours than over 48 hours. Chemiclean is basically potassium permaganate, witch is an oxidizer and irritant. Historically, it has even been used as an abortifacient. It's a dangerous chemical that can, if used wisely, be a tremendous help in battling cyano. But leaving a tank in danger of anoxia and other bad side effects is no bueno. Do that water change and treat again later if necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts