The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading another post and it said that since putting their system on timers everything is doing so much better. So I am curious does it really make that big of difference? I am my tanks timer and always thought as long as lights were on and off the correct # of hours everything would be a o k. Now I know I may turn them on an hour or two late from time to time. So would my tank do even better if I add the timers?

·
11,345 Posts
I think everything we do to make our reefs environment as close as possible to what its like in the wild will help contribute overall to the animals, and the reefs health. I would think that the light timing would be more critical to sps and other more photosynthetic specimens just as sps and other critters are more picky about overall water quality. Just the same, if you are giving them roughly the same amount of light daily it probably would be a pretty difficult thing to prove without extensive controlled experiments which im sure have already been done, although none specifically come to mind......
The healthier we can keep our reefs the more likely they are to survive some of the things that inevitably do go wrong in this hobby.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
In real life there are shorter and longer days so I'd say no.I think it's the thing of doing it is one more thing not to worry about,specially if your away on vaction or something like that.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a timer while I was gone but both lights come on at the same time and didn't like that. I took that one back and have never gotten anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
jenajet said:
always thought as long as lights were on and off the correct # of hours everything would be a o k. Now I know I may turn them on an hour or two late from time to time. So would my tank do even better if I add the timers?
How would you like it if somebody came in and turned on the bright overhead lights while you were trying to sleep? :lol:

Someone may have done it but I've never seen a definitive study on the effects of precision light timing. I would suspect that the important thing is the right balance of light for healthy growth at approximately the same times each day so that the critters are acclimated to the day/night schedule. Timers make this more convenient for the reefer who can't be there all the time.

Dick:)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think getting the correct amount of time is the most important thing. Having said that I have 2 timers on my tank so that is one less thing for me to worry about. I have timers not so much for my tank but more for me

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I definitely like the timers it is so much easier I have 2 on each tank so the actinic and daylight bulbs come on at different times

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Each light has it's own timer, and the fan comes on and off with the actinics so it's running before the MH's come on. The two MH come on separately, and go off in reverse. The Actinics are last to go off... as is the fan. I'd no way get these lights on/off at the proper times manually.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I agree, it is conviniante for me to have the timers, one less thing to do and worry about.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have timers on all tanks, even the small nano, it's just a convenience thing for me - - and on the large tank, I have two timers set to bring on the PCs and then the MHs kind of like daylight - dawn, then full sunlight. It seems to slowly wake up the tank!

HHC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts