The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 10g nano tank for about 4 months now and I was having bad cyanobacteria problems on the sandbed.

Every water change I would suck out more and more but no matter what it seemed that it would digress for a day or two just to return in full force again.

I started doing doses of Poly Ox (Made by Kent) in the morning and night (claims to remove excess organics from the water aka cyano food)

This didn't get rid of the cyano but it did slow it down very well.

Then, I left my apartment to return home for a few days (4 to be exact) for break ; I am also able to make the room the tank is in pitch black, so for approximately four consecutive days, the tank was left with zero light.

The day I returned home I left the light off and immediately did a massive water change (~50%). Added another dose of Poly Ox and turned the light on.

My sandbed was spotless and has been for about two weeks now.

P.S.

I heard that cyano is capable of coming back until the tank is fully cycled (~1 year) and this process might need to be repeated but it is a good killer of an immediate problem.

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
Glad it seems to have worked for you with no ill effects. I had to search through several google search pages to find out the active ingredient is Manganic acid salts , a powerful oxidizer similar to potassium permanganate. It appears that Kent's ammonia detoxer is called for if you overdose the tank or want to bail out of the treatment regimen.
It kind of reminds me of Chemo, the difference between a useful dose and an overdose is pretty thin, and like the antibiotic based red slime removers are quick fixes that are too risky for me to use or recommend.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
We inherited a tank with issues and I have been through this. Water changes, sucking out the cyano and reducing feeding are all good. Water quality is vital.

I am probably with Doug on the slow and steady approach.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I think so too Perry, after all, I had my fair share of it too...
Wow Nate. Did you find the root cause or did just good husbandry fix it?

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
I switched to a dimmable w+b LED fixture and ran my lights almost all the way blue for two weeks straight. It killed every last big of cyano without any ill effects to any of my coral and without and change to the regular regiment. I slowly added white to the lights and now I have far superior lighting on 12 hours a day without any hint of the return of cyano.

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
If you have a stinky kitchen, air freshener will help for a bit but till you take out the garbage, clean the fridge and clean out the disposal, you are going to use a lot of air freshener.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts